The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9th Bn London Regt

andyspiller

Learned friends

Having had 3 great-uncles in the Vics and having found a fourth that was in the Bloomsburys prior to that, does anybody fancy starting an info pool on all our reserch?

Andy

Hiya Andy.

Depends on which date during the war,you are looking at.

I have been looking at the 9th Londons(QVR),as part of 175th Brigade,58th(2/1st)London Division,during their service from 3rd Ypres through the March offensive of 1918.

To say the least,they were very busy during this time,as was the 58th Div.

Sounds like a good idea.

Let me know how you get on.

All the best.

Simon.

Simon

Thanks for your response.

The last of my Vics was repatriated 2/1/1918 - I think as a result of gas at Cambrai. I would like to think however, that any exchange would cover the period from maybe late 19th Century through 1914/18 to, dare I say it, 1939-45.

The Vics were, of course, sacrificed at Calais in 1940 to protect the guys at Dunkirk and one of my great-uncles was one of the OCA that were selected to represent the regt at the dedication of the memorial in the early 1950's.

I suppose that the short answer is " any Vic is a good Vic"! :P

Regards

Andy

PS - Mr Baker/Mr Reed - Is there a better way to keep this one under control?

My interest includes the role of the Victorias in the Gommecourt attack 1.7.16 and I have some considerabel detail from April through July for this period (and for all the other London regiments involved). Any information swaps happily done.

• 1 month later...

Guys

Just to let you know that I have started transcibing the roll of honour from the Regt'l history into Excel. i'm only up to "D" so far but re-sorting data into Date of death etc is already making for interesting analysis.

I suppose you might want a copy when its done?

Regards

Andy

Please add me to your list as a cousin has recently been in touch asking for information about our grandfather of the QVR.

Stephen

Andy

I don't have very much, but here it is:-

George William Spencer 393193,

born 21.3.1898 Islington

Conscripted. Believed wounded ?1918, always said while retreating. sent to Dover castle.

He spoke of St Quentin and guarding prisoners.

Brother of james henry Spencer MM, 14975 Pte Northampton Regt, MM 27.2.1919

Thanks

stephen Spencer