The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Recruitment Poster

David_Bluestein

Thought the Pals would like to take a peek at this...

I have not laid eyes on this poster for the better part of fifteen years. I was organizing a storage space in my house, and there it was. I forgot I owned it!

Your thoughts on it are welcome.

Enjoy,

David

post-2-1066688224.jpg

From the photo, it appears to be in great condition. How/in what was it stored? How brittle is it? Is it on heavy paper? From my work at the Archives, many 86 year old documents are a little flimsy, and they have been stored correctly, one would think.

Peter (plundering the NAC)

Broz, and Teapots:

The poster is in very fragile condition, and quite rough around the edges with splitting occurring in a few places. It is very thin, and to be handled with great care. Aside from above, it's in remarkably good condition having survived so many years! I had stored it in a sturdy cardboard tube. However this was probably not the greatest place to have it?

Aside from above, I have a fairly large collection of photographs, documents, diaries, letters, soldier's pocket books, trench maps, paybooks, officer receipt books, postcards etc. etc. All of which are housed in albums under acid free plastic.

This poster however poses some storage challenges: Can anyone suggest a good method of storage for this piece?

Thanks in advance

David

This poster however poses some storage challenges:  Can anyone suggest a good method of storage for this piece?

Hi David:

This is truly a wonderful poster. Have you thought of framing it using 'Tru Vue Conservation Glass'* and an acid free mat for the boarder? With a piece like this, I'd have the job done by a certified picture framer.

Garth

*brand name of glass available in Canada.