The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Italy

Guest hauxwell

I am trying to find out where my father served in Italy. He was from the Richmond area of Yorkshire and born 1898. I know he had a photograph of Milan but I have no other info. Where do I start?

Bill

Here, Bill

Italian Campaign

on the mother site of this forum.

If you go to "Home" from there, and "search" on Italy, it will show you several more sites to check, including a battalion war diary for 11th Northumberland Fusiliers, who served in Italy.

Then come back to the forum and ask more questions. :)

And anything you have on him will help - name, where from, did he die in the war, do you have his medals or are they in the family?

Bill,

As I'm sure you know Richmond was the HQ of Alexandra Princess of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment - Green Howards.

There is a fair chance that your father enlisted with this his local regiment.

Both 8th and 9th battalions served in Italy in 1917-18.

Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to Kew and found my fathers records. Most of them were OK but some were damaged.

He was posted to the 8th battalion and the authority was as far as I can read

23??w cpoA/146/B/567 d (dated?) 19th Febuary 1919.

There is an entry which I think reads 'Transport Abrazia attached'. Any ideas?

He had two charges. One was for 'Losing by neglect his jack knife' Three days pay, the other 'Absent without leave 9.30pm to 11.30am' Three days pay.

The page with his postings is damaged but but has the dates.

France 21/11/17 to 27/4/1919

???????? Sur 28/4/1919 to 12/5/1919

Theater of war or command is Italy

Battalions mentioned are 80th Training, 3rd West yorkshire Regiment, 8th Yorks & Lancs, 11th West yorks. He was in Necastle on the 28/3/1917 and left Whitley Bay 20/11/1917.

Is there anything else I can find out?

Two medals British & Victory. I never saw these in the house.

Bill

The 80th Training Battalion was based at Newcastle and if i remember right there where disbanded in Nov 1917 and a larger proportion of men went to the West Yorkshire Regiment(i.e the 3rd Reserve Battalion West Yorks), he will then have joined the 10th West Yorks who where disbanded in France in May 1919, where he will have gone to Italy to Join the 8th York and Lancs, who where out there from Nov 1917.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards Kevin