The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Unit & Formations

Chad

I am currently researching my home village Pateley Bridge, North Yorks during the First World War. The majority of local men served with the 1/5th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment, included my Great Uncle, William Chadwick, who survived. I have gleaned quite alot of info from the History of the West Yorks Regt 1914-1918 by Everard Wyrall and also an Illustrated Historical Sketch of the Fifth West Yorks published by R. Ackrill Ltd, Harrogate. If anybody has any further info or suggestions, then i would be grateful.

Thanks

Colin

Colin

You may have already been to the West Yorkshire Museum in York, if not it is worth alook and if you phone before hand you can make arrangements to view the War Diaries upstairs.

Regards Kevin

Kevin,

Yes i have some time ago, but did not realise they had archives there as well, although probably should have realised. Thanks for the suggestion & i will contact them shortly.

I should have perhaps been more specific with my initial posting on the Forum & explained the next stages of my research, which are to examine the records at Kew. Unfortunately, work & distance dictate that this will have to be put on hold for the time being. Also, looking for info on the setting up of the Battalion & recruitment details, names etc if such a thing exists, but again the museum may be able to assist.

Thanks

Colin Chadwick

• 1 month later...

Colin - My cousin also has an interest in the 1/5th West Yorks as his Great Grandfather on his fathers side was a Sgt from the York Territorials, he found a Regimental history re-publication that I think came from Ray Westlake or one of the other book sellers in the WFA journal, I'll try and find out what it's called and get back to you. David

Dave,

Thanks. It may be the one of the ones mentioned in my original post, but if not then certainly would be of interest. In fact if your cousin has anything else on the battalion, then maybe we could exchange info. Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Colin