The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

BRCS & OSt.JJ Trio

Terry

I am in the process of acquiring a 1914 Star trio to a doctor who was with the British Red Cross/Order of St.John organization in France (1914), and later served with the RAMC (his War and Victory medals are named to him as a captain).

Does anyone know what might be good research avenues for this group? I am unsure of the exact status that this organization held in 1914. Were they civilian, quasi-military,etc.?

Also, how large an organization was it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Both the BRCS and the Order of St John were civilian organisations.

They were regarded by the military as Recognised Civilian Organisations and their members who died on duty due to war causes were granted war grave status and appear in the CWGC lists.

These recognised groups usually served alongside the military or under some degree of military authority. During WW1 the services provided were usually medical or the provision of some form of 'comfort' for the soldier - religious and otherwise.

The VADs fell into this grouping along with such others as the YMCA, the Friends Ambulance Unit and the Scottish Women's Hospitals. There were others.

• 2 weeks later...

This trio has finally arrived, and the star is named to D.M.Stone, BRCS & OStJJ, while the war and victory medals are named to him as a captain. A research sheet indicates that Dudley Macaulay Stone was with the Duchess of Westminster's Hospital (No.1 British Red Cross Hospital) at Le Touquet, and arrived in France on 29 Sept.,1914. It also states that his officer status was with the RAMC.

Because the star only lists his name (obviously no rank) but gives no indication of his being a doctor, is there any way of confirming his actual profession? I can make an assumption, because of his later officer's rank with the RAMC, that he was a doctor, but what other possibilities might there be? Admin officer?