The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CSM George Nathan

Myrtle

I have recently been reading up on The Spanish Civil War as research for a local community project in my area of London. It appears that George Nathan was one of the men from Britain who initially volunteered to fight with the International Brigade. He had been a CSM during WW1 and became in 1918 the only Jewish officer in The Brigade of Guards. It is said that he resigned his commission after a dispute in the officers' mess over the pay of privates.

He became a Captain with The International Brigade and then a central figure in the formation of the XVth International Brigade after which he was promoted to the rank of Major. He appears to have been highly respected by the men.

He was killed at the end of The Battle of Brunete in July 1937 and buried near the River Guadarrama.

Has anyone any further information on George Nathan's background and /or WW1 service ?

Myrtle

Myrtle

I suspect that he was not commissioned into the Guards. There is a G S M Nathan who was commissioned into the Royal Warwicks during the war. Could this be him?

Charles

Apart from the man Charles M has mentioned, there are two others who appear in the November 1918 Army list and may fit the bill:

Lt G Nathan - Durham Light Infantry, employed Ministry of National Service.

Lt GG Nathan - (9th Bn London Regt (Queen Victoria's Rifles).

Terry Reeves

Charles/Terry

According to two sources, George Nathan rose to the rank of CSM during WW1. I have not been able to trace his middle name, if any, and have not found mention of him in Bill Rust's book. It appears that Bill Rust only mentioned those men who were members of the Communist Party.

Thank you for your replies.

Myrtle

Myrtle

I suspect that he was not commissioned into the Guards. There is a G S M Nathan who was commissioned into the Royal Warwicks during the war. Could this be him?

Charles

A great many books on the Spanish Civil War mention the Jewish Major Nathan of the Guards. Interesting to see that he was never a Guards officer, and that he seems to have been "involved" in Ireland.

I have read of a Canadian called Norman Bethune, who did pioneering work on blood transfusion in Spain. He was said to have been a stretcher bearer in the Canadian Army in WW1.

Is this another "myth" created for political purposes, or is it true? I shall now take a look at the Canadian Attestation forms, but does anyone have any sort of fuller detail?

Charles/Terry

According to two sources, George Nathan rose to the rank of CSM during WW1. I have not been able to trace his middle name, if any, and have not found mention of him in Bill Rust's book. It appears that Bill Rust only mentioned those men who were members of the Communist Party.

Thank you for your replies.

Myrtle

Hi again

I forgot to add this in my recent post. Major George Nathans middle name was Montague

Go here:

http://www.internationalbrigades.org.uk/br..._volunteers.htm

Then click on "Roll of Honour".

Myrtle/

Which part of London does your study cover?

I have seen a fairly recent film (sorry, old age means I cannot remember the name) about Dr Bethune who served as a doctor with the Chinese Communists after the first war and I think was on the great march with Mao Tse Tung before going to Spain. I think he was Canadian.

I have seen a fairly recent film (sorry, old age means I cannot remember the name) about Dr Bethune who served as a doctor with the Chinese Communists after the first war and I think was on the great march with Mao Tse Tung before going to Spain. I think he was Canadian.

Peter

Norman Bethune was certainly Canadian, born in Gravenhurst, Ontario. Here is a link to a short biography:

http://schwinger.harvard.edu/~terning/bios...os/Bethune.html

This link also mentions a film of his life, starring Donald Sutherland, and a biography. There was also a play about Bethune broadcast on BBC Radio 4 maybe 10 years ago.

What I am mainly interested in his WW1 service, as a stretcher bearer. I can not quite see his Attestation Papers, as there seems to be a fault on the site. I typed in "Norman Bethune" and two names came up, but I was not able to see the actual papers. Probably a glitch and I hope to see the correct papers over the weekend.

A Sgt G Nathan appears in the British Jewry Book of Honour, complete with photograph. He started in the Honourable Artillery Company before being commissioned into the DLI, presumably the man I mentioned in my first reply.

Terry Reeves

Beppo

Thank you for providingGeorge Nathan's middle name. The area of research is North Kensington.

Terry

The entry in the British Jewery Roll of Honour sounds like the same man especially as he started out as a Sgt. Would you please display his photo if possible ?

Myrtle

Myrtle,

Just in case you haven't had a chance to check yourself already, the LG has the foll on the DLI man:

[17 Apr 1916] temp. 2nd Lt. to be temp. Lt.:- G. Nathan 27 Mar 1916

[21 Jun 1917] Temp. Lt. G. Nathan, from a Serv. Bn., to be temp. Lt.(attd.). 27 Mar. 1917 with seniority 27 Mar. 1916.

[27 Feb 1919] Temp. Lt. G. Nathan relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health contracted on active service, 28 Feb. 1919, and retains the rank of Lt.

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael

Thank you very much for checking the LG for information.

At the moment I am trying to find out if George Nathan lived in North Kensington and was therefore one of the group of men from the area who went to fight for the Republicans. I take it that his service papers may be at the NA.

Terry

Thank you very much for the photograph. It's good being able to put a face to the personality. Is it possible to make out his cap badge from your photo ?

Regards

Myrtle

Myrtle

The book states he was in the Honourable Artillery Company. There were two branches to this unit; artillery and infantry. The badge is a little indistinct, but it is appears to be the the large flaming grenade of the infantry worn by senior NCO's an officers. His regimental number was 289 by the way. Out of interest there was also a Sgt Major AJ Nathan serving with the HAC.

Terry Reeves

Thanks Terry

Your mention of Sgt. Major AJ Nathan may explain why Hugh Thomas and others wrote that George Nathan was a CSM during WW1. There may have been a mix up between AJ and George.

Myrtle

Terry

I noticed the BFI film on their site this weekend. I am planning to contact them tomorrow to find out about their loan copy.

Myrtle

Terry

I noticed the BFI film on their site this weekend. I am planning to contact them tomorrow to find out about their loan copy.

Myrtle

Myrtle

You could also try a phone call to the University of Brighton.

Some 10 to 15 years ago thay had a Spanish Civil War exhibition and were, at that time, working with an International Brigade OCA.

They also had some film. I myself saw some footage of the Sussex volunteers of the International Brigade arriving back at Brighton station, after the IB had been withdrawn from Spain.

Maybe they have some more IB related film stock? It's worth a call anyway.

Myrtle

The IWM Sound Archive has an extensive collection (over 200) interviews relating to the Spanish Civil War. There's a printed catalogue as well. Several of the interviews with International Brigaders mention Nathan.

Bryn

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your help and also that of all those people who have given advice and information regarding this soldier.

Thank you all.

Myrtle

• 4 weeks later...
I have recently been reading up on The Spanish Civil War as research for a local community project in my area of London. It appears that George Nathan was one of the men from Britain who initially volunteered to fight with the International Brigade. He had been a CSM during WW1 and became in 1918 the only Jewish officer in The Brigade of Guards. It is said that he resigned his commission after a dispute in the officers' mess over the pay of privates.

He became a Captain with The International Brigade and then a central figure in the formation of the XVth International Brigade after which he was promoted to the rank of Major. He appears to have been highly respected by the men.

He was killed at the end of The Battle of Brunete in July 1937 and buried near the River Guadarrama.

Myrtle

A thread in here relating to the 'Invergordon Mutiny' prompted me to start "browsing" a book I have had for years.

In 1948 Fred Copeman, who was kicked out of the Royal Navy for his role in the 'Invergordon Mutiny', had an autobiography called "Reason in Revolt" published.

Copeman fought in Spain, and in a part of the book where is is describing his fellow International Brigaders I found a little on George Nathan - see scan.

post-1-1069591481.jpg

Myrtle

Although I wouldn't swear to it, and my scan is not the best, I have an idea that George Nathan is in the top photo here. The third man from the right, in the peaked cap, looks a lot like George Nathan - see his WW1 photo earlier in this thread. Although not named in the caption Nathan was certainly a 'Brigade Officer'.

Once again the scan is from Fred Copeman's 1948 autobiography, "Reason in Revolt". Out of interest Fred Copeman is second from the left, in the beret.

post-1-1069603432.jpg