The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CSM George Nathan

Myrtle

Beppo

Thank you very much for the scans . The account of George Nathan is similar to the ones that I have read. Although his description is not as one would expect of a member of the International Brigade, he was highly respected by those with whom he fought.

Regards

Myrtle

• 10 months later...
I have recently been reading up on The Spanish Civil War as research for a local community project in my area of London. It appears that George Nathan was one of the men from Britain who initially volunteered to fight with the International Brigade. He had been a CSM during WW1 and became in 1918 the only Jewish officer in The Brigade of Guards. It is said that he resigned his commission after a dispute in the officers' mess over the pay of privates.

He became a Captain with The International Brigade and then a central figure in the formation of the XVth International Brigade after which he was promoted to the rank of Major. He appears to have been highly respected by the men.

He was killed at the end of The Battle of Brunete in July 1937 and buried near the River Guadarrama.

Has anyone any further information on George Nathan's background and /or WW1 service ?

Myrtle

Myrtle

I was surfing the net, looking for something else, when I found this site:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:pipke...s+jump%22&hl=en

If you are still researching Major Nathan paste the above into a browser. In particular, you may be interested in the "Can you help?" section.

Hi Beppo

Yes thanks I know of the site already but I appreciate your input.

The memorial has been delayed in completion because of problems beyond the group's control and I've just started again, researching the members of the International Brigade from the North Kensington area. I've traced quite a few of the men's family and residences through the electoral roll but there is still no sign of George Nathan.

Regards

Myrtle