The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Manchesters.

Bob Coulson

Bob

As indeed was James Kirk VC. - remembered on the Cheadle Hulme War Memorial. If you Google search on Wilfred Owen, you get the full story.

For info in the meantime, my Kirk web page is here

John

B)

From Official History, 1918, volume 5, for 4 November 1918 (Battle of the Sambre):

"The attempt of the 2/Manchester and 16/Lancashire Fusiliers to cross the canal north of Ors was unsuccessful. The 218th Field Company RE threw two bridges; but the southern one was smashed after two platoons had crossed, machine gun fire prevented the use of the other, and over two hundred casualties were suffered.

[Footnote: VCs were awarded to Captain (A/Major) A.H.C. Waters, commanding the 218th Field Company RE and Sapper A. Archibald of that unit, and posthumously to Lieut. (A/Lt-Col) J.N. Marshall (Irish Guards), commanding the 16/Lancashire Fusiliers, and 2/Lieut. J. Kirk (2/Manchester).]"

Owen, Marshall VC and Kirk VC are all buried in the small British plot at Ors Communal Cemetery, from which the canalised river bank is in sight.

Chris/John,

Many thanks for the help, quite a story for one day.

For info my local man is also buried in Ors Communal Cemetery.

Will be able to put the story of his final day down in some detail now.

Once again many thanks.

Bob.

Bob - as promised. There is little in the Manchesters Diary, and this is one of the best general descriptions of the action in a war diary:

War Diary 32nd Division HQ – WO95/2372

“218 Field Coy RE attached to 96th Infantry Brigade on 4th November 1918. 96th Brigade comprised of:

2nd Bn Manchester Regt

15th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers

16th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers

On the left brigade front the 2nd Manchesters under the terrific machinegun and trench mortar fire succeeded in throwing a bridge across the canal and in passing over two platoons.

The bridge was immediately destroyed by shell fire and though repeated attempts were made to repair it, the undertaking had to be abandoned and the remainder of the Battalion was withdrawn under cover of the Canal Bank.

The 16th Lancashire Fusiliers in the centre also met with desperate resistance.

Very gallant work was done by the 218 Field Company RE and 16th Highland Light Infantry (Pioneers) in lashing floats to the poles of the bridge under intense MG fire and the bridge was completed in half an hour.

More than 200 officers and other ranks were killed and wounded in the proximity of this bridge.”

Casualties of 2nd Manchesters on 4th November were:

3 officers killed, and 5 wounded

22 other ranks killed, 81 wounded and 18 missing.

Paul/Chris

Thanks for the xtra info. It's a bit more I can add to James Kirk's story that I didnt know about before (i.e the lack of success).

John

B)

Glad it was of interest. Most of the fatal casualties are in Ors Comm Cem, as mentioned above, but a few are on the Vis en Artois Memorial - men who fell into the canal perhaps?