The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cyril Austin Olds DCM

j.r.f

PALS PLEASE CAN YOU HELP.

ONE OF MY EX ST GEORGE SCHOOL PUPILS WAS A SECOND LEIEUTANT CYRIL AUSTIN OLDS.ACCORDING TO CWGC HE WAS AWARDED A DCM HOWEVER I CAN FIND NOTHING ON THE LONDON GAZETTE WEB SIGHT.i ASSUME THAT CWGC IS CORRECT ? HE IS ON SOLDIERS DIED BUT NO MENTION OF DCM.WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?IF THE ANSWER IS TO LOOK AT HIS M I C IS THERE ANY KIND SOUL OUT THERE WHO COULD EASILY DO THIS FOR ME? <_<

CHEERS

JOHN :D

John

FOURTH SUPPLEMENT TO The London Gazette Of TUESDAY, the 16TH of FEBRUARY, 1915 published on 18 Feb lists among those awarded the DCM

8575 Private C. A. Olds, Royal Army Medical Corps.

Cannot find a citation for his DCM

Jock

JOCK

Thanks for info.This gets stranger.My boy(he was only 21,and an expupil of theschool at which I used to teach) was a Second lieutenant in the 3rd Bn of the Gloucester regiment.he died 16/04 1916.This must be someone els or is it ? I think I am going to need a lot of help with this.

Cheers.

JOHN

pals

I have just spent a happy hour looking through the Glousters web sites.I found a list of DCM recipients.THere is no mention of C.A.OLDS.There is no way they could have missed him is there? So why does it say he was awarded the DCM on the CWGC Certificate?

Any comments help or advice would be greatly apreciated.

Cheers.

CHRIS

This is the second time of writing this.last time I pressed the wrong button and lost the lot.So here goes again.

1.C.A.OLDS. Fact CWGC.states that he was killed 16/04/1916.Rank Second Lieutenant. Age 21. Awards DCM.

2.As you pointed out his being made a probationary second lieutenant is in the gazette issue 29111 23 March 1915.Probation from 25th March 1915.

No other mention of DCM.not in Officers Died,or in Gazette,and also not in a list of his own regiments DCMs?

Please where do I go from here ?

I will ring CWGC to see if they can shed any light on the situation.

I will keep you posted.

John

2nd Lieutenant CYRIL AUSTIN OLDS, D.C.M. - Killed in action 16th April 1916 - 3rd Bn

Killed during heavy shell-fire at Snowhill, near Loos. Aged 21. Son of Albert and Mary Olds, of Redfield, Bristol. Educated at Bristol Grammar School and Queen Elizabeth's Hospital. He joined the Royal Army Medical Corps and was awarded the DCM in 1915. He was commissioned in 1915 and joined the 3rd Glosters. Listed on the Arras Memorial, Pas de Calais. (He had been buried 'where he fell.')

Source: http://members.tripod.com/~Glosters/1916off.html

Dave

Looks like 8575 Private Olds RAMC, who won the DCM, is the same man. He must have attended an OTC before enlistment, hence the reference in LG before his commission. How very interesting. Now, which Battalion was he with when he suffered the mortal wound? Not the 3rd, as they were in Bristol!

PALS

How do you do it?Inever saw youre lips move.

Well together we have cracked it.This is the story how.I rang the CWGC and they put me through their arcives dept.They confirmed that C.A.OLDS was awarded the DCM.When I said I could find no proof ,they gave me the number and extension of the first war medal arcives.I rang they confirmed that C.A.Olds was a recipient of the DCM .He won this award as a Private in the R.A.M.C..The notice that he had recieved the award was in the London Gazette of the 18 february 1915.The sitation was in the Gazette of 1st April 1915. They also came up with the following information .= OLDS .C.A. 8575 21 Field Ambulance.This is where he won his DCM.he then went of to become a second lieutenant in the 3rd gloucesters.He entered France on 07/10/1914.He was awarded the 1914 star as private C.A.OLDS and the B.W.M. and the VICTORY MEDAL .These were sent to his nok on 10 March 1921.

So there tis.I have to look up the relivent sitation .

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP>

TOGETHER WE DONE IT>

CHEERS

JOHN :D:D

PALS

The sad thing is he had to die and it also looks as if he is not one of my old boys.But I will follow this up and keep you posted.

Cheers

John :D

Given that he was educated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, could it be that he was a medical student (with some OTC time) who enlisted in the RAMC at the outbreak of war?

Given that his was a commission in the Special Reserve I guess that is why he is described as 3rd Battalion rather than the battalion he was serving in when KIA. I think this has come up on the forum previously in the case of SR officers.

Jock

Cyril Olds born on 28/6/94 the 4th son of Albert Olds and Marym, nee Patt.

Enlisted RAMC on 13/8/14.

Went to France on 7/10/14.

WIA at St Jean near Ypres on 22/10/14.

Gazetted 2nd/Lt 3rd Bn Glos Reg on 25/3/15 and attached to the 1st Bn for training.

Returned to the front on 19/3/16 and was KIA 19/3/16.

Awarded the DCM for distinguished service in the field.

source: DeRuvigny

John,

Extract from 1 Glos Regt War Diary

15/4/16 Maroc

From 9.30am to 1pm our communication trenches and Crassier Coy were very heavily shelled by all calibres artillery - heavy H.E. [High Explosive], field guns and trench mortars. A great deal of a damage was done to our trenches, saps and dug-outs.

3.30pm to 4pm there was a feeble retaliation by our heavy artillery, which previously had quite failed to retaliate on the hostile trenches. Casualties 2nd Lt CA Olds killed, 1 other rank killed and 6 wounded.

Regards

Joe

Pals I am ,if you will excuse the expresion,gob smacked.I would not have thought that it was posible to get any information let alone to do it so qiickly.I have a contact infact two contacts at both his old schools.By the way Queen Elizabeths Hospital is a very upmarket private,nay public,school here in bristol.It was endowed either by or at the time of QE1.I shall folow these up and it is just posible that he startedhis secondary school career at St George.He lived in the correct area.Well thanks again .I am over the moon obout this.

Cheers.

JOHN :D:D