The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Charles William Lovelock

Chris_Baker

This is a photograph of Charles William Lovelock. This man was eventually commissioned. Here is his story:

Born 28 July 1895

Lived at 18 Chatsworth Street, Clapton, London

Enlisted in 12th Battalion, the Rifle Brigade 3 March 1915 with regimental number 2529

Became the Sergeant of the battalion Machine Gun Section

Wounded in the leg 12 October 1915, returned to unit 19 May 1916

Applied for a commission 10 June 1916 and attended No 8 Officer Cadet Battalion in Lichfield

Went back to his original unit, in France

On 28 October 1917, evacuated with shell shock, having been "knocked over by two shells"

Attended the VAD Hospital in Exeter

Now, a number of things are not gelling for me here.

Rifle Brigade - yes, uniform and badge appears to be RB.

Sergeant - yes, but a very qualified one and wearing dress uniform - doesn't really match up with a March 1915 recruit?

I would appreciate any thoughts on whether the man described in the text is the same man as in the photo.

post-1-1067327934.jpg

Born 28 July 1895

Hello Chris

I think the man in the photo looks much older than very early twenties.

Andy

What did he do after the war?

Did he stay on in the army, and this photo was taken later?

He was discharged in 1918, as a Second Lieutenant.

I did wonder about his age on the photo, but on second look I did think he might be 20+ behind that fearsome moustache.

Sergeant - yes, but a very qualified one and wearing dress uniform - doesn't really match up with a March 1915 recruit?

Maybe not ,Chris, but the fact that he hasn't any medals or ribbons up does.

Dave.

Chris

I am pretty sure that this is a pre-war photograph. I have several pictures of RE's wearing a similar pattern tunic and hat, all dating between 1908 - 1910. I would be suprised if he had been issued this pattern of uniform from 1915 onwards. No doubt there will be somebody better qualified than me who can throw more light on the subject of uniform though.

As a matter of interest, the badge on the right forearm was given to the section commanders of the best shooting squadron or company in a regiment or battalion.

Terry Reeves

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've gotthis now.

The Charles William Lovelock whose story I wrote to open this thread is NOT the man in the photo. His officers file shows that although he came from a smimilar area, he lived in a different road and his family names do not match up.

I now believe this to be 560467 Sapper C. W. Lovelock, who was formerly with the London Regiment. And judging by the badges I reckon 19th Battalion. He joined 2nd London Divisional Signals Company - which is a good match to his obvious signallers qualifications!