The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Archibald Browne

john w.

Could anyone help me please with Archibald Browne, all I have is the CWGC info...

Essex Regt 2nd Batt

Died 19/12/1914

no known grave.. on Ploegstreet Memorial

Cheers

John

Paul he was... that seems to make a difference then...

the problem I have is that I have looked for him on the 1901 census and he isnt listed there...

The road the CWGC lists doesnt exist any more..

Hence I was looking for alternative sources and didnt realise that SAD makes a difference to SDGW.

Any other thoughts please?

John

Myrtle

Archibald Browne was SAD 19/12/1914. and was a private in the 2nd Bat Essex Regt

Full account as poss in SAD by Putowski and Sykes P28..

He was shot for desertion after taking a sick soldier to an aid post. Changed his clothes and went. Was Cm for desertion, plundering and escaping from arrest...

He was in Falnders and had fought at Mons,Le Cateau, and the Aisne.

Hope that helps

John

Myrtle

Just seen further in the book that Archibald Brown was your man... can see that there were almost two the same.. just an e missing!

John

John

Thank you for clarifying that. I have found the mention of Archibald Browne. According to Babington he was arrested by a gendarmein in Hazebrouck. I have often wondered if the French authorities still have the police reports from WW1.

Myrtle

Same went for Thomas Highgate.. perhaps it is a valid question the someone could answer..

Do the French authorities still have the police reports from WW1?

John

Just to 100% accurate, he didn't serve at Mons. The 2nd Essex were my great uncle's battalion, and one I know quite well. They didn't fight at Mons; but were in reserve some distance away. They fired their first shots on the left flank of 4th Division positions at Le Cateau on 26th August 1914.