The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt H Jackson, 46th Fusiliers, Killed in Russia

BeppoSapone

Guest keep fit.

:rolleyes: (Re photo of Harry Jackson)

Thanks to Bepposappone for posting my picture.

The picture is Sgt Harry Jackson born 1900.

He is wearing his Grenadier Guards uniform. In about april 1919 he enlisted with the Royal Fusiliers for duty with the Russian Relef Force. Harry was killed in August 1919.

I have written to the Grenadier Guards at Birdcage Walk in London to see if they had his service records, all they could find was a receipt for his enlistment into the Royal Fusiliers i have a copy of the receipt.

At the top of the receipt it says:

RECEIPT for Attestation and Soldiers Documents (for insertion in portfolio).

N.B - The Attestation should be accompanied by the Army form W3601 containing

the Soldiers Will.

If the Grenadier Guards dont have the portfolio would it have been forwarded to the Royal Fusiliers?

Would i be able to see the portfolio & his will.

Would i be able to have a copy of the portfolio & his will.

Can someone confirm for me from Harrys uniform & badge on his hat what he did whilst in the Grenadier Guards.

Look forward to some replies.

Susan xxx.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Steve Seaman
:rolleyes:  (Re photo of Harry Jackson)

Thanks to Bepposappone for posting my picture.

The picture is Sgt Harry Jackson born 1900.

He is wearing his Grenadier Guards uniform. In about april 1919 he enlisted with the Royal Fusiliers for duty with the Russian Relef Force. Harry was killed in August 1

At the top of the receipt it says:

Just testing seems i forgot how to do it in my last post

Looking at the photograph, it looks as though he was a Lewis gunner. The badge on his lower left arm is a wreathed "LG" denoting "Light-Machine Gunner" but I believe that most people took this to mean, "Lewis" gunner.

From what I know, the 46th Royal Fusiliers was a battalion created especially for service in North Russia, made up of men from many different regiments. There was a book published recently entitled, "Stamping Out the Virus" about the intervention forces in Russia. I'll see if there are any references to the battalion and get back to you.

Best wishes,

Jim

:) Jim.

Harry died on the 10th August 1919 near a place called TROITSA/TROITZA about 250 miles from Archangel.

He is buried in Troitza churchyard.

Susan (keep fit) Ps that book you mention sounds interesting.

If you go to the Australian War Memorial site at http://awm.gov.au and type 'Russia 1919' in the Site Search area, you'll be directed to an article on the 45th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers. It's written from an Australian perspective, as a company of the 45th was composed of ex-AIF men, but nevertheless you might find it interesting.