The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Great Site

StuMac

Hello again from Australia,

I have been a member of this forum for only a very short time, and would like to say how informative the site is. The members are GREAT!

Before I saw this site I actually wrote off to the Army Medal Office requesting details of my late Grand Fathers medal entitlement in WW1. I had no idea they were kept at the PRO.

My quest is to put my Grand Fathers WW1 medals (I will most likely buy replicas over here when I get the details of his medals) in a frame, next to my Dads WW2 Medals, (Cameronians Scottish Rifles). My other Grand Fathers (Mums Dad) WW2 Medals (British Merchant Navy), My Uncles Royal Australian Air Force and my Australian Army - Royal Western Australia Regiment badges.

Only problem now is finding the Medal Card with the VERY little information I have.

Thankyou all,

Stuart

Known details of my Grand Father (He died before I was born and Dad died when I was 6, a year later we were living in Australia) NOT much is known unfortunately about Grandad and my mother does not remember a great deal these days.

William McConnell

Born Ayr Scotland 1883 or 1889

Next of Kin: Wife Carrie McConnell

Lived in Kilbarchan Renfrewshire Scotland

Possible Regiment (Cameronians - Scottish Rifles) or other Scottish Regiment

I have been told that there are approx 50 William McConnell's on the Medal Rolls, so I think I am at a "dead end" !?

That’s the best I can do for now, SORRY! I am trying to track down more info.

I must say thanks to this web site, its good to read about the British Tommy during WW1, in Australia the ANZAC’s in WW1 are covered pretty well. Keep up the GREAT work….

Stuart a Scot Down Under

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Stu,

Who ever told you there were 50 William McConnells on the medal rolls is talking out of that place the sun don't shine!!

There are about 12!

Now there are four possibles for you grandfather - 3 RSFusiliers and 1 Scots Rifles.

He is 45569 Pte William McConnell who was entitled to a pair.

Unfortunately one of the RSFusilers can be discounted as his record did not match the profile. The records of the other have not survived.

Ian

:)

Hello Ian,

THANKYOU VERY MUCH for the information on the WW1 William McConnell's GREAT! I am almost certain it would be the Scottish Rifles chap, as my Dad joined them in WW2...

The 45569 Pte William McConnell, who was entitled to a pair, is he the one in the Scottish Rifles? The 2 medals he would be eligible for, they would be the 2 round ones? I do not know a lot about the WW1 medals.

Thanks again Ian, I REALLY appreciate your help and knowledge.

Stuart in Australia

:D

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Stu,

Aye the Cameronians chappie was the man in question and he was entitled to the two 'round ones' ie British War Medal & Victory medal. So at least you know he went overseas after 1 January 1916.

No problems was a pleasure mate - here's to him and all his mates.

Ian

:)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Oh stuff it!

Next time I am at the PRO I will look up the medal roll for this guy so at least you will know which Battalions he served in.

We owe it - Ian

:ph34r:

Ian

Thankyou for that, I would enjoy any info you can get.

Could you email me your postal address please, I will send this Australian RAAF Police patch over with my compliments for helping me. The patch is shown below....

Cheers mate,

Stuart in Australia B)

post-1-1067826568.jpg