The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

7th bn northumberland fusiliers

dinger181

Hi,

I am looking for information on 3370 pte James Porteous 7th bn Northumberland Fusiliers 149bg 50th division. He was a territorial soldier from West Westwood, Wooler, Northumberland and died on the 27th March 1916. I would like to know how he died and if he was the lone soldier that was killed in the attack, from trenches 34L to 47S at 4.15am on that day taking the two craters at St eloi, he is buried in the railway dugouts burial ground.

I am so close to finding out the whole story please help if you can.

regards Alan.

welcome

he enlisted in Alnwick, Northumberland and is recorded as being killed in action

that said this chap is james not John

Ah you got THAT group! Well done - its a nice one i had been looking at for a while! Still its hard to get upset as long as youve bid your max and there is someone prepared to pay more than you....

Good luck with the research.

Marc

Hi im new to this game,i am looking for information on 3370 pte James Porteous 7th bn Northumberland Fusiliers 149bg 50th division. He was a territorial soldier from Wooler, Northumberland and died on the 27th March 1916. I would like to know how he died and if he was the lone soldier killed, in the attack at 4.15am on that day taking the craters in St eloi, he is buried in the railway dugouts burial ground.

I am so close to finding out the whole story please help if you can.

regards Alan.

Hi Allan,

I try to run a web site about the 7th NF, which will never be comprehensive, but has some info about later events.

I have checked Both the 50th Div History, and Capt Francis buckley's Q6a and other places, which is the best personal account of the 7th NF.

His entry for the day reads;

On the 27th march we were relieved, and I went back with A Company to some dugouts near Bedford House. A belgian Battery had just arrived close to us, and unfortunately they gave the position away. In the afternoon I went a long round to varoius reserve bomb stores to check the stores.

The 50th Div history merely records: "On the 27th of March, the 3rd Division blew six mines under the German salient at st. Eloi, and the right of the 151st Brigade, especially near The Bluff and lankhof, came in for a good deal of hostile artillery fire. The Brigade diary records that "A mountain of flame was seen and what were reported as the largest craters on the western front were made.

Buckley's "War history of the 7th NF, has no entry for the 27th march at all, indicating that it was a day of very little involvement in anything.

I do not hold a copy of the War diary, (I wish i did), but this would probably be the only further place to check for info.

You can access my web pages on http://www.trenchmap.com and follow the 7th NF Links

Hope that is of some use;

Guy

Alan

Not the war Diary that you want but:

6th Battn. N.F. War Diary records

14th March 1916

------ We then moved to Hill Central (sheet 28) where we entrained for Poperinghe, where we arrived at 12.30a.m. - - - - -

26th March 1916

Quiet day.

27th March 1916

Mound at St. Eloi was blown, consequently there was a certain amount of artillery activity near Battn. H.Q.

In the evening we relieved the 7th Battn. Northumberland Fusiliers in trenches 37L to 47S inclusive.

It was a quiet relief completed at 9.15p.m.

Kate

Thanks Kate

I have updated my post with latest information will try to get map of trenches 37l to 47s, good news is that a photogragh of james has been found so am nearly their. if i can find out how he actually died and if he was that lone soldier killed in that attack, his relatives will be so happy as their going out to the burial ground this year.

• 17 years later...

I know it's a long time ago - but for the sake of posterity - 8 men from the 7th who were killed on March 27th 1916 were buried together at the Railway Dugouts Cemetery. I'm just adding an image to the IWM Register of the Battlefield Cross of one of them - A Jeffrey - which is among four crosses in St Michael & All Angels Church in Felton - near Alnwick.