The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regimental number 1

Raster Scanning

I have recently seen advertised (as some of you probably have) an MM and pair to 1 Sjt W Blaikie 10/A&S Highrs. All are named and numbered the same and it is confirmed that they are genuine.

This must be a pretty unique set of medals. I am tempted to purchase them if still available and wondered if anyone knows when number 1 was allocated and anything about Sjt Blaikie who is mentioned by name in the war diary (so I am told).

Thanks

Why unique? Do you mean having the number 1?

There were many soldiers in WW1 who had the number 1, particularly in TF and NA battalions.

eg. 1 RSM C.May, 11th Royal Sussex Regiment

A quick check of SDGW reveals that there were 8 casualties with the number 1.

5 were killed in action and 3 died between 31 Oct 1914 and 1 Nov 1918.

Paul.

Not unique as far as the number is concerned, someone had to be number one in every unit.

But in 20 years of collecting medals I have never seen a regimental number one come up for sale, so in that context, if not unique let me change that to uncommon :rolleyes:

John

Regimental numbering is complicated. Based on my study of RWF, number ones are rather unlikely to be those of regular or new army soldiers: these used a continuous series which started at number 1 in 1882 for all regiments [the previous series started in 1829]. In regiments with a rapid turnover and four regular battalions, the pre-war official "start at 1 again" watershed of 19999 may already have been reached. As New Army soldiers were officially regulars under different terms of engagement, the numbering just continued, and the 19999 was never enforced, having been exceeded before Christmas 1914. There is a decent chance of number one in the TF, all battalions of RWF seemingly started numbering [a different series for each battalion] in 1908. The SR battalion did the same.

See my Stand To article for a bit more background.

Guest Pete Wood
See my Stand To article for a bit more background.

LB, I am in danger of becoming seriously fixated on some/many/all of your articles.

Would you happen to know if back issues are available from the WFA - either in paper or (hopefully) digital format?

Can I be, using the words from the film Misery, your "Number 1 fan?" I promise not to 'hobble' you....

Regimental numbering is complicated.  Based on my study of RWF, number ones are rather unlikely to be those of regular or new army soldiers:

Maybe in the RWF, but not in most regiments; in the Royal Sussex alone the following battalions all had a recruit with the number '1', albeit with a prefix:

4th Bn - 4/1

5th Bn - 5/1

7th Bn - G/1

11th Bn - SD/1

The 4th and 5th being TF, of course.

The number 1 could be issued many times in a regiment from 1914 where a prefix was used; often that prefix is missed off medals, wargraves etc. I suspect the MM winner above has a prefix, and there will be another man in his regiment with the number 1.

Would you happen to know if back issues are available from the WFA - either in paper or (hopefully) digital format?

WFA Stand To back numbers from: Martin Hornby, 5 Summerhedge Crescent, Othery, Somerset TA7 0JE, ask for number 68, cheques £2.50 payable 'The Western Front Association'.

As for a fan club, you wouldn't if you knew me!

LB, I am in danger of becoming seriously fixated on some/many/all of your articles.

RT, first it was your tuneless singing of a Spice Girls song, now it is your shameless LB stalking. :D

You really must not self-medicate. Do what the white coats tell you to do . . . :P

Peter (or am I off my meds?? )

I have a medal to a TF man who served in the Hampshire Fortress Engineers. His regimental number was 13. Fortunately he survived the war. As it happens, I am not a superstitious person but I often wonder how he felt about it.

Terry Reeves

The number 1 could be issued many times in a regiment from 1914 where a prefix was used; often that prefix is missed off medals, wargraves etc. I suspect the MM winner above has a prefix, and there will be another man in his regiment with the number 1.

The prefix is certainly not on the MIC or the medal itself. The MM card also has no prefix. But as you say Paul it was sometimes left off.

Here is the actual dealers description.

MM GV to "1 Sjt W Blaikie 10/A&S Highrs", BWM & Victory "1 Sjt W Blaikie A&S Highrs". Slight ek's on all medals, but otherwise generally NEF.

Copy MIC confirming regimental number as 1. Also copy of war diary where he is mentioned by name.

MM awarded for Holnon Wood 10/9/18.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

John.