The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Best Great War Film

isanders

Intending to finish, then another thought.....last one.

'Her Privates We' is crying out for a film depiction. Stephen

Stephen, Love that book. Have had the same thought. I reckon it would be a hard one to pull off as far as justice being done. Not something that would lend itself to over simplification of the Speilberg Kind i think.

I can share a 'read somewhere' experience which involved discovering that the film rights were purchased back in the 60's. By whom wasn't mentioned.

Watching Terrence Malicks 'The Thin Red Line' made me think of Manning's book and suggested a possible type of treatment ie. intelligent visuals overlaid with 'inner dialogue' (philosophizing thought).

I would add my vote to those who have put forward The Grand Illusion.

I have a question relating to another film. I recall some imagery from a British movie, 1960's vintage, B/W. A corpse lying on muddy ground, rain falling, body dissolves into the mud. Definitely set during WW1. Possibly about or including an execution by firing squad scene, but not "Paths". Does that ring any bells with anyone? Saw it as a child and that is all i clearly remember. Dirk Bogarde? as mentioned in an earlier post?

David.

The Film You saw was Called "For King & Country",and also starred Tom Courtney,Leo Mckern,and the Bloke who played Van Der Valk.I have this Film on DVD and can do copies if required.PM Me if interested.

I wasn't aware there was such a wealth of WW1 films. I still have to say from the ones I've saw "All Quiet on The Western Front", 1930s version.

Lynz :lol:

Westfront 1918 is also another view of the War from the German Side of things.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched 'A Very Long Engagement' the other night and enjoyed it. An entertaining story, well filmed and with believable sets.

Also, DVD has a good 'Making Of...' featurette - surprisingly, there were no retakes of the 'massage' scene in this, if I had been that bloke I'd still be fluffing my lines today! ;)