The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can anyone help?

Roy Evans

I need to establish what happened to the following three battalions on the dates shown.

1/7th Royal Warwickshires 27th August 1917

2nd South Wales Borderers 28th August 1917

7th South Staffords 22nd August 1915

Can anyone help please?

Roy

Yep. Extract from "The History of the Seventh South Staffordshire Regiment".

"On August 18th, the 33rd Brigade went up to the same trenches that they had previously occupied near Chocolate Hill, relieving the 32nd Brigade. Nothing of moment occurred between the 18th and 20th, on which night the brigade was relieved by the 88th Brigade of the 29th Division. The night of the 20th was spent on the beach in preparation for another assault on the Turkish positions, and the next day the operation orders were issued. The 11th Division were to operate on the right of Chocolate Hill with the 29th Division on their left, their main objective being the strong point, known as Hetman Chair. The 33rd Brigade were in support. At 3 p.m., August 21st, the naval guns commenced their bombardment, and at 3.30 p.m., the 33rd Brigade moved out from under Lala Baba, to support the attack. The 9th Sherwood Foresters were leading, followed by the 6th Borders, who were in turn followed by the Staffords.

As we moved across the plain, we came under exceedingly heavy shell fire, and our losses were considerable In a short time, all the officers were casualties, with the exception of 2nd-Lieut. Miller and 2nd-Lieut. Hanmer who joined the battalion two hours before the attack started. The attack completely failed. Though we never came properly into action, we had more than 300 casualties, including R.-S.-M. Mee and Pioneer-Sgt. Warman, killed. On August 24th, the battalion was withdrawn to the reserve trenches, and were combined with the 9th Sherwood Foresters under the command of Capt. F. P. Duck, 6th Lincolnshire Regiment."

Richard,

Many thanks.

Roy

Roy,

My great uncle,

Pte.29262 Edward Chambers,

was in the 1/7 Royal Warwicks, and was KIA on 27/08/17. I have a copy of the war diary for August 1917.

I would be happy to email you a copy if you let me have your address, also I would be grateful for any info you could let me have about the battalion at this time etc.

Yours

Ian C

Ian,

Thank you for your kind offer, if you click on my name shown at the top left corner of this post you will get the facility to e-mail me directly from the forum.

My interest lies in Private 25046 Raymond Bishop, KIA 27th August 1917 and who is commemorated in my local church. I only started this research a couple of days ago and have absolutely no info on the Royal Warks that I can give you in return, :( my own speciality is the 2nd South Staffords.

Roy

PS I've just run a search on SDGW and it seems that 1 officer and 31 ORs from the battalion died that day.