The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tracing Grandad

Guest david_t

Hi all,

Just found this site tonight,haven't been through all the messages yet, I am interested in tracing any or all of my Grandfathers army history.He served in ww1 and was born in Harrogate,Yorkshire.Don't know the name of the regiment and when he died,his medals were missing. I know he handled horses and worked for a removal firm after the war using horses.I know many records were destroyed in ww2, but is there anywhere else I can look without trying the Public records office,or would this be the only source?

Thanks

david_t

Welcome to the forum, David. I hope you didn't have anything planned, because reading through 40,000+ messages will take some time! :lol:

As a start point, please visit the "mother site", The Long, Long Trail. There's a link to it at the top-left of this page. You will find an entire section dedicated to telling you what is possible in researching a soldier, and how to go about it.

Good luck.

Hi David.

May we know his name ?

Best wishes.

John.

Hi John,

His name was Henry Matson, I believe born 1892 don't know exact date, do you think I will be able to trace him from the medal roll of honour? Don't know the specific medals he received, but i've read the records for this are still intact.

Thanks

david_t

Hi david

It should be easy to find his name in the Medal Index Cards, Matson is not a common name like Smith (sorry any Smiths out there, I not trying to say you are common :unsure: ) but if your Grandfather as a second Christian name that always helps to pin point you man.

Annette

Guest Pete Wood

Hi David

I think I've found your Grandfather on the census, anyway.

Click here to go the Online Census Records at the PRO

Once you're there, click on PERSON SEARCH

Now enter the following

Last Name - MATSON

First Name - Hy

Note: He is registered as HY and NOT Henry.

Put Place of Birth as HARROGATE.

It will cost you a couple of pounds to view the details. But then you can also see who was living at the same address; your Great Grandfather's details etc etc.

The 'free of charge' information shows Henry as being 7 years of age when the Census was carried out.

There was a Henry Matson, Captain in the 3rd Battalion Kings Own Royal Lancaster Rgt).

Probably not the man but it's an idea.

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies, it would seem the best way to go is the medal index cards and this will obviously reveal his regiment.

To John, I am certain he was not an officer, I think the search would be easier if he was.

To " Racing Teapots" I am fairly sure you are right as the time scale seems to fit, as Annette says, it is not a very common name.

Best Wishes

david_t