The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Egyptian Labour Corps and Donkeymen

Matt Dixon

Can anyone tell me anything about the formation of the Eygyptian Labour Corps, and the role they played in the war.

Also does anyone have any idea what a Donkeyman did, and I am sure it had nothing to do with animals!

Matt,

Ivor Lee is generally acknowledged to be the expert on the Labour Corps

he is a member of the forum and runs a web site devoted to the corps

LC1917@aol.com

regarding Donkeymen who did not have anything to do with animals;

I have a feeling that I have heard of them in the mining industry,

were they something to do with running a 'donkey' engine - a small auxiliary engine?

regards,

Michael D.R.

Michael,

regarding Donkeymen I have no idea...I saw a Chinese headstone to the memory of a Chinese service man and the inscription on the headstone simply said "Donkeyman"

Michael,

regarding Donkeymen I have no idea...I saw a Chinese headstone to the memory of a Chinese service man and the inscription on the headstone simply said "Donkeyman"

There were "Donkeymen" in the Merchant Navy. These were people who worked with the engines. Although it is not of WW1 interest, here is a link to a photo of a Donkeyman:

http://www.ben-line.org.uk/Donkeyman.htm

Matt

I hope the following gives you some background on the ELC. It is, however, only a brief outline of their history.

There were, in effect, three parts to the Egyptian Labour Corps.

The earliest part relates to the Gallipoli campaign. Egyptian labourers were used during the campaign and are frequently referred to as the Egyptian Labour Corps in official records.

At the same time in Egypt itself large numbers of civilian labourers were being used to support the logistic tasks of both the Egyptian and British armies. By early 1916 there are references to the ELC working in various parts of Egypt. As the war progressed British Officers and NCOs were put in charge of the men in the ELC and they continued to work in Egypt and Palestine.

In January 1917 following their successful work in Egypt it was decided to bring men to Europe. Initially they were to be used to unload ships at Marseilles and we have a record of discussions saying that they would not be able to cope with the weather in Northern France in the winter. However by March 1917 this idea was changed and they were used in Northern France.

One of the major problems relating to the men of the ELC in France was with regard to their contract. The men were contracted to work for six months but it was uncertain whether this meant from the time they left their villages or from the day they arrived in France.

As a result there were a number of instances of men going on strike or of mutiny amongst the companies. A number of these resulting in men of the ELC being wounded or killed by British troops sent to quell the disturbance.

In one instance men of the ELC refused to go to work one morning and attempted to break out of their camp. Armed British soldiers were called for and fired on these men resulting in 23 killed and 24 wounded.

In the War Diary recording this incident is, what I consider to be one of the classic entries of the war:

"In the afternoon the whole of the Egyptians required went to work without further trouble.”

If you have a particular interest in a man who served in the ELC do no hesitate to get in touch off forum and I will see if I can help with where he served etc.