The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte. J. H. Ashby

Northern Soul

I got a letter to-day from a friend, making an enquiry on behalf of a 94 year old neighbour, whom I assume is one of Pte. Ashby's children. Please could someone do a look up in SDGW to give me the relevant "place" information and any details of previous service?

Pte. J. H. Ashby, 242296, 7th Bn. Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regt.), k.i.a. 12/10/17 (commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial).

His Service Number looks like a TF number to me. Am I correct in thinking that he may have been transferred to the 7th Bn. from one of the Queen's Own Territorial Bns.? If not, can anyone give an indication of when he may have joined up?

Finally does anyone have a copy of the War Diary entry for 12th October 1917 or access to a Unit History?

Many thanks in advance.

Andy.

:)

Hi there

born Manchester, enlisted Stockport, Lancs, resident Reddish Lancs.

James Henry

formerly 5461 Herefords Regt.

kia France & Flanders.

Unfortunately I know of no way to deduce enlistment date from a TF number, in that huge numbers of TF men who had enlisted pre-war and immediately thereafter were re-numbered to the 200 000 series in 1917. I know little of the Herefords but that low number may indicate a pre-war regular soldier.

Public Record Office visit needed, and no guarantee his records will still exist. Medal Index card [which will exist] may or may not give date of entry into theatre of war. It could be worse: Ashby is not that common a name.