The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SS Akassa

museumtom

Sue

Welcome to the Forum !

Not a good idea to tack a new enquiry onto an old thread as it is not as likely to be noticed. Bolder to start a new thread with ELIZABETHVILLE prominent in the title !

However, the ship's pic can be seen online if you just google "pic of ship Elizabethville", it is not going to be downloaded by me as there seems to be a copyright issue !

The ship was on the West Africa run during WW1 and there is info to be had on the National Archives database and also on Ancestry UK.

For general info, and should anyone be seeking it too, Member Morrin now has the photo of the AKASSA I found in Elder Dempster Line's WW1 Losses book.

• 8 years later...

Hi @museumtom

My great grandfather was Joseph Newton and served under surname Sumner.

My sister Julie recently visited the memorial of merchant seamen at Tower Hill, London. To look up both of our great grandfathers

Joseph Newton(on SS Akassa) and from mum's side Owen Lloyd who by some bizarre coincidence also worked as a stoker died on the (SS Southland) Gallipoli.

I was just trying to find photos of both of the ships they served on when I came across this forum. Incredible.

Any information you have on the sinking of the SS Akassa would be great.

Regards

William Newton

Screenshot_2024-05-12-22-28-33-427_com.whatsapp.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-12-22-28-41-411_com.whatsapp.jpg