The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Railway Wood

Sue Light

I’m just trying to establish the place of death of a local man, Harry Holden, 13th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, killed in action on January 30th 1917, and buried at Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery. I have an extract from the Battalion War Diary [but not long enough!], which states the battalion were at ‘Railway Wood,’ and mentions Railway Wood Tunnels, Beek Trench, South Lane and West Lane. Railway Wood, north-west of Hooge seems to have trenches all starting with the letters ‘I’ and ‘J’ [e.g. Ice, Identity, Iguana, Jabber, Jaffa], and anyway, Vlamertinghe would seem to be a long way for a man kia here to be buried. Can anyone tell me where I should be – and provide a trench map reference if possible?

N.B. One of the other trenches is named ‘Idiot’ – should I feel at home? :(

Regards - Sue

Sue - will have a look through what I have on this and come back to you. I have two unpublished private diaries of this battalion, and they might mention something.

Hi Sue

I believe there was a light railway that ran from this battle front to Vlamertinghe or near it. The 6th K.S.L.I. held the Railway Wood sector from mid May to mid July 1916, all those who were killed in this sector and have a known grave are buried in Vlamertinghe Cemetery.

Do you want a map of this area.

Regards

Annette

Thanks Paul

The only other clues I have:

Harry Holden was killed by shellfire while 'on duty at Battalion headquarters' [south Lane/West Lane area]

They seem to have been very near the enemy front line, as patrols were sent out to check whether wire had been cut by the bombardment, and whether the enemy were still occupying their trenches [Answers - NO and YES!!]

It would seem that Vlamertinghe was his original burial place - the newspaper carries a description of his burial.

[And sorry I seem to have put this in the wrong section]

Regards - Sue

Annette

Thanks - I think our postings coincided. Do you mean the railway ran from Railway Wood, Hooge, to Vlamertinghe? If so, then the burial might fit in, but I would really like to be able to pinpoint the trenches in the diary. I have the Trench Map Archive, and can easily find the area, but not trenches with the right names - or perhaps I'm not looking!

Regards - Sue

Hi Sue

I am not sure where it ran from and I can not remember where I got this info. from but the 6th K.S.L.I. lost 27 men killed in action in this sector, of these 25 are buried in Vlamertinghe Cemetery.

I have a map with all or most of the trench names you mention.

Regards

Annette

With the help of a great map, supplied by Annette, I've been able to pinpoint where the battalion were, a couple of hundred yards north-east of Hellfire Corner. Harry Holden was killed in action on 30th January 1917, while at Battalion HQ - there were many casualties on that day. A letter from the chaplain to the family tells that he was buried two days later,

'...in a British cemetery, where his grave will be marked with a cross and the site preserved; he was buried on 1st February with all the honour and Christian reverence that are his due.....'

So although he was killed in action, his body was transported back to Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery for burial two days later - which although I found surprising, it seems that this was not unusual for that sector.

Thanks to everybody - Sue

So although he was killed in action, his body was transported back to Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery for burial two days later - which although I found surprising, it seems that this was not unusual for that sector. 

Indeed it was not unusual there. My Great Great Grandfather was killed by a trench mortar round on the night of 12th April 1917, in the front line near Ypres. Unfortunately, I don't yet know which sector.

He is buried at Vlamertinge, and letters to his wife from comrades indicate that his body was taken the several miles back, along with two others from his company, and interred after a short ceremony. His two comrades are buried next to him.

I have posted the text of the letters here:

1.jma.dk - The death of Sgt Hallwood

Regards,

Ste