The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Military Police in WW1

Matt Dixon

Was there such a Unit as we have today as the Military Police? Were they involved in front line fighting, and how were they selected?

Matt - Also have a look at this site - Redcap - which looks at the Military Police from well before WWI right up to today. For some reason not all the pictures appear, but a few do.

There is also this publication:

The Redcaps: The Authorised History of the Royal Military Police (London: Brassey's), 1994 by Gary Sheffield

Matt

Couple of the local chaps I have researched were killed during WWI whilst serving with the Military Police. No safe units to serve with.

Pals, thank you all.

Am I correct in believing that the Corps of Military Police was not formed until 1926?

During WW1 there were two separate corps - the Military Mounted Police and the Military Foot Police. Was there any unified structure between the two with men working for both corps?

There was a book released a few years ago called 'The Other Enemy'. The author was G Walhert.

It's about the Australian Military Police in WW1 & WW2 but you may find it is of interest.

Regards

Andrew

In repsonse to the question about the military police...yes there were two branches of the police the mounted and the foot...although I remember in the late 70's there were still a few military police horses in Aldershot and were used for patrol duties...but thne of course in those days the shot was a squaddie town not like today a ghost town.....

Seem to recall also there was an Osprey book about the Red Caps perhaps in tiier 'elite' series....will check that lead out...

although I remember in the late 70's there were still a few military police horses in Aldershot and were used for patrol duties...

I think the Mounted Branch of the RMP was axed in the late 80's or very early 90's, but I'm sure they had gone by the time I joined in 85.

Lee,

The mounted troop of the RMP was stationed in Aldershot and was disbanded in the mid to late 1990's :angry: A sad day for the Corps.

Regards

Iain

funnily enough the mps did not have red cap coverers til late 1915.

we have 4 on the mons march for next year

plug plug plug