The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A World Undone

rose of picardy

Here is another entry from the book club circular , so I suppose it is aimed at the general reader ( which does include me). The subtitle is " The Story of the Great War 1914 to 1918" so it is a general overview. Has anyone read this one? Is it worth a look?

I have not read this book although I have looked at a few reviews on the internet. The problem was I could not work out whether it is a large coffee table book or a lengthy work of academic history. It did appear from the reviews that the author was hugely critical of everything but I cannot really say.

Jon

• 1 year later...

Bumping this up to see if any fresher opinions are out there. I did see a thread implying this was a book for generalists and Americans and I must admit to both and hope (devoutly) no slur was intended! Actually, I do like more focused books, but I am always interested in any new book. The reviews on Amazon (US) seem generally favorable. I am pretty innoculated to the "bungling generals" theme now,so it will not upset me if the author takes this tack. I sweep it up and sift it out at this point..

I like the human element and social history, so I am thinking of picking up "Brothers in War" as well...