The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RE Service numbers

blue

An easy question if you know the answer!!! I belive that RE service numbers were allocated in blocks denoting the area they joined up in or the company they served in . Where or how do you find out this infomation?Did the RA have the same system ?. Is this how all numbers were allocated ?.I understand the regimental numbering system to be a bit of a nightmare ?????? thanks Phil

Guest Mike Barry

I cannot answer your question, as the the answer would raise more questions which in turn would run into pages.

However, I can recommend the book'The Collectors and Researchers guide to the Great War' Vol 1 by Howard Williamson. this useful book covers all arms involved and has several pages dealing with numbering.

If you would like more details of the book please let me know?

Phil

As a general rule, block numbers were not issued to the RE's on a geographical basis. You may be thinking of the TF number change which occured in 1917, when blocks of numbers were issued to the Territorial Force, which had originally been formed on a County basis, but there are exceptions even within this.

Another group of RE units - New Army, Army Troops companies, appear to have been given blocks of numbers which relate to the town or city they were raised in. This is part of a continuing research project of mine and I still have some way to go before the system is proved.

Terry Reeves