The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieutenant Bernard Adams

paul guthrie

Another man with spectacles by the way. He served with 1RWF in a quiet period of October 1915 to June 1916, was wounded and wrote this book in England, returned January 1917, killed a month later. The book is a fine account of life during times other than intense combat.

Speaking of the infamous 40 & 8 railroad cars, " Our tommies were evidently a kind of centaur class for they went in by twenties." Pretty good 'eh?

Paul, have you ever tried to decode his fellow officers' pseudonyms?

I believe 'Tommy' is David Thomas DoW 18 Mar 1916

but I have a problem with 'Robertson' and 'Davidson' as to which is David Pritchard and which Mervyn Richardson [both kia 19 March]. Any ideas?

The 1988 edition which is the one I have explains some of that. If that's not the one you have I can bring it to my office Saturday and post that. I will not be here tomorrow. let me know.

• Admin

LB

Thompson is is David Thomas,Robertson is Richardson and Davidson is Pritchard.

A fine book.

Regards, Michelle :blink:

Thank you both, I knew between us we knew everything.

And I would love a relevant quote from the later edition.

[and I can reveal that an almost completely decoded and sumptuously illustrated 'Old Soldiers Never Die' is now completed and awaits a publisher. Watch this space]

The 1988 edition which is the one I have explains some of that. If that's not the one you have I can bring it to my office Saturday and post that. I will not be here tomorrow. let me know.

This one.

Please.