The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st lincolnshire (garrison) battalion

Dee

Does anyone have any info on this battalion please?? I believe my great granddad fought in this battalion. I know he was in the 1st lincolns and was injured whilst in active service. My gran has a postcard that he sent to her mum which states that when he was injured (blow to the head), he was transported to Darjeeling and was then brought home on board the Hospital Ship Karoola, I have no other information yet and as I am just starting my research on him any info would be much appreciated.

Dee

I can't help with the Lincolns but this may be of interest.

HMAHS Karoola

7,391 tons. McIwraith, McEachern's Line Pty Ltd

Requisitioned 9 May 1915. Embarked troops and general cargo and departed for Egypt 25 June 1915. After disembarking troops proceeded to England where converted into a hospital ship with accommodation for 463 patients. For the next three years transported sick and wounded between England and Australia. Commonwealth control ended 19 June 1919.

Egypt, England

Dee.

not much help but the following is taken from the Lincs reimental history.

'The 1st Garrison Battalion served in India for guard duties,..... and the garrison Battalions were composed largely of old soldiers who formerly served in the regular army, in many different regiments, but very few, if any, judging from the list of casulties and deaths, in the Lincolnshire Regiment.'

Hope of interest

Chris

Further to Chris' posting, Soldiers Died shows 31 men of the 1st Garrison Battalion as having died during the war.

Each man is show as "died" as opposed to "Killed in Action", "Died of Wounds" etc suggesting natural causes.

Jim

Thank you all for your replies, it is starting to make a little sense from other info I have on him. My great granddad was formerly in the Grenadier Guards (I do have a copy of his attestation papers for that) in about 1904 but only for a short period of time so it would make sense to me that he went back into guard duties rather than regular fighting. Unfortunately I don't have much info on him at all for the Lincs (not even his number, which I am in the process of trying to research), my mum had informed me that he was in the 1st Lincs (she had obtained this from his postcard written at Darjeeling) but this didn't make sense to me until I found the different Battalions on this site and saw that it was the 1st Garrison Battalion who were in India, until then I was a little confused as all info showed the 1st Lincolnshire Regiment as being in France. In the Lincs he did make it home from India, but he had been hit on the head, which turned his eye. He finally died in 1951 and my search for his records will continue..

Thank you all once again for your replies.

Dee