The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ENGLISH RELATIVE IN CANADIAN FORCES

Guest hub

Have traced a relative who was in the 1901 census in Thornton Heath, aged 14, with his family....Entered his name in the search box on the Commonwealth War Graves Com. Found he had gone to Canada and become a Canadian National...Also had enlisted with the Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Reg.) 43rd Bn.

He died, 08.10.1916....at the Battle of Arras....My question is ...He is registered as Yeman Robert James...but served as (Dixon)...How could this have come about? Did the Home Children take the names of the people who looked after them....This is if he was indeed a Home Child...Any help would be appreciated....Hub...

THE cANADIAN NATIONAL ARCHIVES WILL MAST PROBABLY GIVE YOU THE INFORMATION YOU REQUIRE.i HAVE FOUND THAT IF YOU CONTACT THEM FOR HIS RECORDS THEY WILL COME UP WITH AN AMASIING AMOUNT OF INFORMATION.IF BYOU DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS CONTACT ME OFF FORUM AND I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP.

cHEERS.

JOHN. :D

Thanks j.r.f. and christine..Have already tried the links you have given...Have emailed the Canadian National Archives already...The age they had put on the memorial inscription of Robert gave his age as 3 instead of 31...emailed them to point this out...Got a computer message to say the email had been recieved and they would contact me soon...Didn't think to ask for help as regards the name change...however they may give me more info about him...will wait and see...Thanks for the offer Christine...may take you up on it...Must say this is a realy friendly, helpful site...Had a chat with a couple of members in the chat room tonight...Happy hunting...Hub...

Thanks for the offer Christine...may take you up on it...

Not me, that was j.r.f

:o