The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Anyone help with a look up please

Christina

I am trying to trace my grandfather's army service record, but as I live in Australia this is a little difficult. My grandfather was Robert Tucker, I do not know what regiment he served in only that he was in the army. When he joined up he would have been living at 76 Larch Road Balham, London SW12, he was married to Annie [nee Warner]. He did not serve long as he lost a leg. He was retrained by the British Legion after the war. As I am finding it difficult to trace Robert's birth details [he was born 1884-6 and his father's name is stated to be Edwin on the marriage certificate] I have tried a search with GRO but they found nothing. Can anyone out there help. Thanks. Christina

Hi Christina

I had some spare credits on www.1837online.com (a site that is basically the GRO birth/marriage/death index online) and downloaded the 'tucker' surnames from 1884,1885 and 1886. If you have an idea what district he was born in, i'll have a look see if anything similar matches, either that, or i'll email you the images (14 in total making 1.3 meg) and you could look through them yourself. You will need an extra bit of software to view them, but its available free from the above website.