The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

help needed

pgis

help needed from any pal who has researched the 8th battalion south lancashire regiment.i am trying to find any info on a relative who died on the somme,he was private john thomas plant no.15515.

thanks

Paul.

I notice that your relative died on 3rd July 1916. On this date, the 8/South Lancs were in Aveluy Wood, being held in reserve to the 75th Brigade. They had been there since 1st July with the idea being that they would be part of the "break-through" force once the German defences had been penetrated deeply enough. As it happened, this breakthrough didn't materialise, and so the 8th remained in Aveluy Wood, taking no part in the actions, untill July 7th when it was necessary to involve more troops.

Dave.

Paul,

You may well know this but from SDGW :

John Thomas PLANT

Born: Cheadle, Ches.

Enlisted: Hednesford, Staffs,

Residence: Longton, Staffs.

Formerly 14666, Ches. Regt.

Roy

Paul.

SDGW also states that he was KIA (as opposed to DOw or other forms of death). Looking at his battalion's location at the time of his death and the method of his death, I'd suppose he was a victim of German artillery fire.

Dave.

thanks dave & roy i knew someone would know something.i have only just discovered this relative whilst speaking to relatives about other members of the family,so this will be a good start for a bit of investigating.although i know that it was cheadle staffordshire not cheshire but these sort of mistakes were very commonplace due to the massive numbers of dead i suppose.

thanks again

paul