The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

GLEW/GLUE

Max

Hello Everyone

Please feel free to tell me tp "naff orf" if this is too complicated a request but could someone with access to the SDGW cds please tell me if there are any GLEW/GLUE entries were the place of birth/enlistment or residence is given as Dewsbury. Because of the relative rarity of the name I can't imagine that there will be many but as I said please feel free to tell me if it is too complicated a search.

Andy

Max,

I couldn't find a Gloo, but found 4 men named Glue.

Nothing connected with Dewsbury though. All of them are from 'down south' but 2 of them have no residence shown:

Charles Richard Glue, Private G/994, Royal Sussex Regt. born & enlisted Sussex, died 22/3/15

Albert George Glue, A/Bdr. 10885, RHA & RFA, born and enlisted Hants. died 19/9/16

I suppost that one of may have moved to Dewsbury?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers Roy

I do have one GLEW born and enlisted in Dewsbury, but I suspect that there are more.

Thanks for your help

Andy

Andy.

I can find only one "Glew" with a Dewsbury connection. He's probably the one you already have?

11745 Pte George Glew, 6/KOYLI, DOW 19/9/1915.

There are several more that have connections in the rough area (Leeds, Halifax, etc.) but he's the only one directly linked to Dewsbury.

Dave.

There is another, though from WW2.

10602186 Tpr. Jack Glew, Recconnaisance Corps, Died 19/4/1945, Italy. He was born in Dewsbury and resided in Leeds.

Another Jack Glew's (died 1944) details just list "Yorkshire".

Dave.

I can find only one "Glew" with a Dewsbury connection. He's probably the one you already have?

He certainly is Dave, trouble is he should be called Walter :D

The Jack Glew from WW2 that you have brought my attention to looks like my mothers Uncle John. I've been searching for him for ages as John, I hadn't actually considered Jack as a first name. Thanks for going the extra mile.

Cheers

Andy