The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

5th Dorsets

John_Hartley

Does anyone have any brief info on an attack carried out by this Bn in what I presume was the Thiepval/Aveluy Wood area?

The man I'm researching is an 11th Manchester. The brief notes I already have from the Mancs history is that the Dorsets attacked what was described as "a line of hostile posts". Achieved the objective but had to withdraw after counter attack. The Mancs were then ordered in, but these orders subsequently cancelled. My man was KIA by shellfire whilst bringing up trench bridging timber.

Thanks in advance

John

John,

This was an assault by three battalions of 91st Brigade (7th Div) on Munich Trench as part of which 11th Division co-operated. 34th Brigade putting in the 5th Dorsets to attack up the spur immediately north of Beaucourt between the Beaucourt-Serre road on the left and the Puisieux ravine on the right.

"A" and "D" companies were to carry out the attack, with the objective a line across the spur, the main tactical features being a chalk pit and some ruins known as the Nest, under which there were known to be dug-outs.

Zero was at 6.40 a.m. - objectives were initially captured without much difficulty, capturing fourteen prisoners of the 135th Infantry Regiment at the Nest. Consolidation was promptly begun when "D's" left platoon was suddenly attacked by German bombers from a bank above the Chalk Pit and driven out. An attempt to retake the Chalk Pit by the platoon failed. "A" company were similarly suddenly attacked and driven out of the Nest. "D" was later attacked by a much stronger party and working round its flank took that company in flank and rear. In both cases the Germans had apparently emerged from undetected dugouts. The survivors retired covered by "C" company.

1 officer and 25 OR were known to have been killed. 2 officers and 90 men, mostly from "D" company were missing. It was later reported that 1 officer, 1 CSM and nearly fifty men were prisoners. 2 officers and fifty men were wounded.

Hope that this is of some use.

Marc