The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Northumberland Fusiliers

mutley

Can any Northumberland Fusiliers experts help with the following:

I am researching a Pte Hugh Keilty who died 31/12/15 and his Medal Index Card shows him going to France on 16/3/15. The CWGC website shows him as 3rd Bn which I believe stayed in UK and did not deploy to France. He is buried in UK so I am assuming that he either died from wounds or sickness caused in France or simply had one too many on New Years Eve and died of natural causes!! He was 41 when he died.

Can anyone tell me from his regimental number wether he was:

a. A pre war regular.

b. 1st or 2nd Battalion.

I have tried to find his records at the PRO but I beleive they are one of those destroyed in 1940. Any help greatly appreciated :)

Mutley,

Yes 3rd bn were UK based - Tyne Garrison.

1st bn landed in France - August 14th 1914.

2nd bn landed in France - January 18th 1915.

By his age and number I would guess he was a pre-war regular, but it is only a guess.

Bob.

Hi Mutley,

I have a Man from The 1st Bt Northumberland Fusiliers with 16 years service.

KIA, Nov 1914.

No: 9789

Hope the No: helps

gary

Following on from Gary's email and just to confuse matters, I have a 28 yr old fatality to the 1/NF kia in Sept 1914, whose no. was 1021.

My gut feeling is yr man was a Reservist who had previously served with 1st or 2nd batt but was mobilised to 3rd bttn. Is it possible his no. was a new no. issued when he was demobbed to the Reserve (in say, something like 1911)?

Thanks to all who have posted info, I tried to check his medal roll at the PRo last week but it was out with someone else. The 1901 Census shows him as a Coal Miner/Hewer, which makes me lean towards a reservist or territorial who was mobilised to the 1st or 2nd Bn in March 1915 and then returned to the UK and died.

I'll just have to keep searching, thanks once again.