The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal Entitlement

hmsk212

Hi,

Can anyone give me advice on a Medal Entitlement query ?

I have a Victory Medal to a 2nd Lieutenant but whilst researching it I came across a Medal Index Card to another 2nd Lieutenant of the same name. What interests me in this Officer is that he is shown as having been commissioned on 06/06/1917, Entered France on 21/07/1917 and Died of Wounds 31/07/1917. The Index is marked X No Rank Service Overseas and shows no medal entitlement or roll number. Looking through his papers he joined his Company in the Field on 26/07/1917 went missing on 31/07/1917 and was reported Died of Wounds on 01/08/1917. Surely his family were given a plaque and a pair in his honour, I always understood that those kia or dow were fully entitled or am I wrong? Perhaps someone out there can put me right.

Cheers

Steve

This Officer should be entitled to the: British War Medal, Victory Medal, Memorial (Death) Plaque, and Commemorative Scroll. I have read on this forum a thread where members were examining the issue of Officers having to apply for their medal entitlement? However my understanding (and certainly with the CEF) medals were awarded to NoK regardless of application or not.