The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Denton

Guest Lisa Barrass

Guest Lisa Barrass

Hello everyone, I'm new to this message board. I'm trying to find out any info on my great-great uncle John Denton. I did have his service number and a small extract from the C.O diary/log for the day he died but have mislaid it. John Denton served with the Northumberland Fusiliers and was killed when the trench he was occupying with others was accidently shelled by his own side in the early hours of 3rd September 1915. In all your research has anyone come across any more information about this incident or any references to Pte Denton. I have a photograph of him taken in Newcastle in his uniform.

Thank you

Lisa Barrass

Guest Lisa Barrass

Thanks Chris.

Spurred on by putting my message on this board I've turned the house upside down and found the copy of the diary (War Diary Index No WO95/1430)

John Denton's number was 16755 and he died on the 2nd September not the 3rd (sorry). If anyone is interested I can post the diary entry.

Lisa Barrass

Guest lemon trench

Hi Lisa

John Denton was the son of John & Sarah Denton, 2 Shaw Street, Greenhill lane, Alfreton, Derbyshire.

He is commemorated on the Menin Gate Panel 8 & 12

Guest Lisa Barrass

Hi Lemon Trench.

John Denton was my maternal grandmother's uncle, known as Jack. He was the only surviving son of Sarah and John. My grandmother, who died three years ago, was seven when he died and the shock of the news was believed to have caused her grandmother (Sarah) to have a massive stroke. My grandmother found her on the floor holding the notice of his death. I'm really interested in finding out more about Jack (John), such as his occupation before joining up. My grandmother can remember him coming home on a Friday with cake which they would eat on the doorstep! However, she could not recall his pre-war occupation. Would such information be on his enlistment records? How could I find this out?

I always feel incredible sadness when I think about him, as it appears his death was the result of what we would call 'friendly fire' and his age. Not much older than my own daughter who is nineteen.

Lisa

Guest lemon trench

Hi Lisa

The first thing that has to be said is that more than likely John Denton's records do not exist. Only some 20-25% of all WW1 soldiers files survived the 1940 blitz.

This site has an offshoot entitled The Great War Family Research. Check out the link at the bottom of the home page. I did and had a report prepared for me on my partner's grandfather, and although very interesting there was very little hard info to discovered.

As a relative novice myself I can advise you that GWFR can access the Medal Rolls to ascertain the exact period that John Denton served on the Wester Front, where he enlisted, when he joined the battalion and can get copies of Batallion diaries, contemporaneous records of the actions involving the specific regiment. These make very poignant reading.

Similar to the individual I was researching, it appears that John Denton has no known grave. I might be wrong here but I do not think that from my experience anything of particular detail would be found on John Denton. But hey waht the heck - give it a try. You can always visit the PRO in London yourself if you have a mind and the time to.

If John Denton was in his late 20s or early 30s, the 1901 census would throw some light on what he did as an occupation, but he would only have been a babe in arms in 1901.

The main thought that struck me on reading the report on the soldier I was researching, was that he in common with hundreds of thousands of other ranks was just a statistic - yet they were all someone's loved ones. Very very sad.

Good luck with the search and come back soon on the forum and let me know what you have found. You can always e-mail me off forum.