The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembering

AndrewThornton

Remembering on the 85th Anniversary of the Armistice, my Great-Great Uncle, 242565 Lance Corporal John Thompson, "D" Company, 1/6th Battalion The North Staffordshire Regiment. Killed in Action at "Nash Alley", south-east of Loos on 24th May 1917 aged 23. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing.

Also remembering 7425 Private James Stallard and 8303 Private John William Stallard, 2nd Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. Sons of James and Florence Stallard of 67, St Mary Street, New Bradwell, Buckinghamshire.

Killed in Action at Nonne Bosschen Wood (Nun’s Wood), near Ypres on 11th November 1914. Commemorated on the Menin Gate, Ypres.

Best wishes to all the Pals who attended at the Cenotaph today. Unfortunately I was unable to make it due to work commitments, but managed to pay my respects at the Hall of Memory in Birmingham.

Also remembering 7425 Private James Stallard and 8303 Private John William Stallard, 2nd Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. Sons of James and Florence Stallard of 67, St Mary Street, New Bradwell, Buckinghamshire.

Killed in Action at Nonne Bosschen Wood (Nun’s Wood), near Ypres on 11th November 1914. Commemorated on the Menin Gate, Ypres.

Raising a glass to these two Bradwell boys tonight