The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

7th King's Lancasters

Mark Hone

I am trying to encourage a very keen and able pupil in Year 7, who is researching his great-great-uncle Thomas Seville who died during the capture of La Boiselle by 7th King's Own Lancasters (56th Brigade, 19 Div) on 4th July 1916. I have already pointed him in the direction of McCarthy, 'When The Barrage Lifts'and'British Battalions on the Somme'. He is now trying to get hold of the Battalion War Diary. I am going to suggest he writes to the museum in Lancaster, but wonder if any Pals have a copy of the diary or any more detailed info on the action. This chap is very keen-he read 'Birdsong' a few weeks ago (!) and has signed up for our 10th anniversary battlefields tour next year, one of the youngest boys ever to do so.

Mark,

If I get chance I'll post the relevant part of Cowper's History of the King's Own for you - usually as good as the War Diary. May be a few days though.

Andy.

Mark

Don't know if they have that specific one, but they do have a comprehensive set. The curator is dead helpful (taking the trouble to look my officer up and let me know he was actually serving with a Yorkshire Bn when he was killed)

John