The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

110th Heavy Battery RGA

Dave Greenall

Can anybody out there point me in the right direction of ant Regimental or Battery diaries for March April 1917. I am trying to no avail to find out how my great grandfather won his MM, citation not available, Battery diary for March apparently destroyed by counter fire, no news on April, PRO not much there have service record, Gazette again nothing of any significance as he wasn't an officer!

Hi, this may not be much help but if you can find out what RGA Brigade the 110th heavy Battery was part of in March/April 1917 then you could try the war diary for them too. I know that the 110th were part of the 67th Brigade by the end of the war but they did tend to move around, so it doesn't necessarily follow that they were part of the 67th in march 1917.

As it happens the 67th brigade were taking part in the Battle at Arras in mar/apr

To be honest whilst there is a chance that you might find a mention of the MM in the war diary the chances of finding any type of citation is remote. the other place you could try is the archives of the local paper for the are your grandad lived. Sometimes the local paper took a lot of pride in the awards of local residents and may have further details.

Simon

110th Heavy Battery served with 62nd Heavy Artillery Group from 28 Oct 16 to 29 Mar 17 and with 89th HAG from 29th Mar 16 to 31 May 17. I am trying to update unit designations on RGA MM recipients and would appreciate knowing your ggf's name. Regards. Dick Flory

• 2 weeks later...

Dick - Sure I've spoken to you before a couple of years ago when I started this search, his name was Charles Edward De'Ath can't remember his service number but the date of the Gazette was 17th April 1917. Will post the remainder of the info later - Regards David

Simon - Thanks for the info I'll give them a try, I have varying snippets of info on the 110th and which Brigades and Groups they served with the 36th Heavy Brigade crops up as well but I think that's for late 17 early 18. Will keep trying, thanks again - David