The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/4 Royal Sussex

BeppoSapone

In the summer of 1916 Horsham based newspaper the "West Sussex County Times" sent a reporter down to Chichester to interview local wounded men from the 1/4 Royal Sussex in hospital.

These men, mostly wounded at "Silver Bay" (Suvla?) were described as being from the "Fine Fourths".

Was this a well known nickname for the TA from West Sussex, or something made up by a sub editor? So too with "Silver Bay".

I believe (although not 100% sure) that the 1/4th Royal Sussex landed at Gallipoli on 9 August 1915, which coincides with Suvla Bay operations give or take a day or so.

British Regiments at Gallipoli confirms their date of landing as 9th August 1915.

Or 15 minutes earlier if nit-picking is in order :rolleyes:

11.45 p.m on 8/8/15.

Regards - Sue

Westlake says they landed "after midnight", but I can live with what you say! :)

Possibly of more interest to Beppo (again I'm quoting Westlake) is that by 20th October Battalion strength was down to 17 Officers and 197 ORs, so probably heavily hit by both casualties and sickness.

You might find the following of use for the 1/4th Royal Sussex:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/1_4th_r...ex_regiment.htm

The broad Sussex accent confused Suvla Bay for 'Silver Bay'; this is term commonly encountered in local newspapers of the period.

Both the medal roll and all the MICs for 1/4th Bn men show the date of arrival as 8th August 1915.