The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tracing US Soldiers who survived.

Mark Hone

Is there a way that you can try to trace American Great War soldiers who survived via the Internet? While looking down the list of Bury Grammar School boys who served I was reminded that we have one 'US Army' listed, and I would like to find out more about him.

Hi Mark,

The archives in St Louis as I think everyone knows were destroyed by a fire in the early 70's.

If you know what state he enlisted in some have service records, normally index type cards but with a good deal of information I know for NY and NJ down to company level normally.

Do you know where he lived in the US?

Take care,

Neil

Not all the records at National Military Personnel Records St. Louis burned but most did. They are quite incompetent. Neil is right, best shot is knowing his state and trying the Adjutant Gemeral for the state. Many of them are available on time. Kentucky usually replies in a day, St Louis a year.

Since not all records burned and they always say after a year the one you are after did we all suspect they say so whether or not they really burned. It's hard to believe how poor they are. :angry:

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I gave all the information I have. The point about them automatically replying that your record was one of those destroyed used to be an allegation levelled at the MOD concerning the British 'burnt records'.