The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

BEF 1940

Martin B

This is slightly off topic I realise, but can anyone tell me where on the net I can find an order of battle for the BEF in 1940 ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Very complete website you have found there Heritage ..even the mobile bath units !!! . Are you interested in the Air Component and the Advanced Air Striking Force Martin ? . You've probably got them already , but I have a list of them at hand if not .

Phil ..

Very complete website you have found there Heritage ..even the mobile bath units !!!

This reminds me of a dinner I went to, for ex-Falklands guys.

I noticed that every one on my table didn't have a rosette on their medal. When I asked what everyone's job was in the campaign, my companions were composed of storemen, 'laundry technicians,' mechanics and cooks etc etc.

We were embarressed to find, and realise, that we were on the REMFs table:

That's 'Rear Echelon Mother F***ers....' :ph34r:

Many thanks for your help everyone. Unfortunately the site referred to only lists the support services. What I'm looking for is a list of the fighting Battalions by Brigade and division. Any other ideas ?

Any particular Division or Brigade?

1,2,3,4,5, 12, 23, 42,44,46,48,50,51,

The book Divisions of the British Army 1939 to 1945 by Malcolm Bellis is available from N&M Press.

Aye

Malcolm

I don't know where to start but am interested in those Brigades and Divisions which contained Battalions of the Cheshire Regiment and those which fought alongside 1st Armoured Division at Huppy near Abbeville Sur Somme.

Cheers to everyone who's helped so far.

Martin

I am just finishing the ORBAT of the BEF which I was compiling anyway from several books I have.

Phil. The Advanced Air Striking Force and Air Component info would be of interest. Can we add our info together?

I still have the 44th, 48th & 50th Divisions to type in and a section on the Transportation units from Citizen Soldiers - the RE Transport & Movement & RASC by Col G Williams. Bear with me. You can all have a copy.

Aye

Malcolm

We were embarressed to find, and realise, that we were on the REMFs table:

That's 'Rear Echelon Mother F***ers....' :ph34r:

And what did you do in the war Daddy?

I think that it is rude of you to refer to our servicemen with barely disguised profanities and even ruder to say that you were embarressed to be in their presence.

Men of the ACC acted as ammunition carriers for 3PARA during the assault on Mt Longdon and their bravery and efforts were appreciated and are still remembered by 3PARA today.

Better men than you