The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pagets Horse

Matt Dixon

Whilst doing some research have come across a chap who was in Paget's Horse. can anyone tell me anything about them?

19 Bn Imperial Yeomanry.

Best known, to me, for their service in the Boer War.

There is a book by Rose-Innes, Cosmo. "With Paget's Horse to the Front." London: MacQueen, 1901.

19th Battalion (Paget's Horse)

51st (Paget's Horse) Coy. Transferred 1902 to 12th Bn.

52nd (Paget's Horse) Coy.

57th (Buckinghamshire) Coy.

68th (Paget's Horse) Coy.

73rd (Paget's Horse) Coy. Transferred 1902 to 12th Bn.

Paget, an amateur soldier who thrived on action, raised 500 officers and troopers for the 51st, 52nd 68th and 73rd Companies that comprised the 19th Battalion of the Imperial Yeomanry.

Many of these men enlisted at the Imperial Yeomanry Committee’s office at 12 Suffolk Street, London SW1.

Paget’s Irregular Horse is also one of the old nicknames of The 4th Hussars; so called from their loose drill, after their return from India in 1839.

That figures....having done some more research this afternoon the man served with Pagets Horse throughout the South African War and then joined Princess Patricia's Canadian L.I. He was also undefeated inter-services heavywieght boxing champion.

Was this regiment amalgamated into the Lancers regiments or was it simply disbanded?

Thanks chaps.

Matt

The Imperial Yeomanry was raised in 1900 for Boer War Service. The last elements to return from South Africa were disbanded in 1902.

You will find date details at:

http://regiments.org/milhist/uk/cav-yeo/ImpYeo.htm

Dave