The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sergeant Alexander McClintock DCM

BeppoSapone

This photo of Sergeant Alexander McClintock DCM of Lexington, Kentucky 87th Battalion Canadian Grenadier Guards ( Montreal Regiment ), has been posted on behalf of Paul Guthrie.

Look for his follow up post.

post-1-1068824615.jpg

Thanks Tony. I will have carpal tunnel by the time I finish this one. Most of this appeared in Stand To! # 56 though I erroneously said there he won his DCM at the Somme. it's also in reprint of his book, my research was the basis of the afterward for which I was credited and foreward for which I was not.

I learned of him when I saw his headstone in lovely Lexington Cemetery. Notables include Henry Clay, US Secretary of State, Speaker of the US House and voted one of the 5 best senators in US history, John Cabell Breckenridge, VP 1856 1860, candidate for president v. Lincoln, Major General CSA and Secretary of War CSA and cavalryman John Hunt Morgan, thunderbolt of the confederacy, famous for the great raid into the north in `1863, deepest penetration of CSA troops, and CO of my great grandfather Duke Love Kimbrough captured for the 2d time on this raid.

Alex was born in Lexington in 1893. His family were among the earliest settlers of Bourbon COunty, Ky. There have been McClintocks named Alexander in Scotland and County Donegal Ireland since 16th century. One settled in Shippensburg Co. Pennsylvaia in 1766, can't prove he's a relative.

Upon attestation he told Canddians he had attended Universities of Kentucky and Idaho. He registered at Idaho in 1911 but did not attend. He did attend UK in 1911. He said he had prior service in the US Navy which appears to be untrue.

He attended Virginia Military Institute in 1909 and was forced to leave.

He went to NYC in 1915 to sail to the UK and join but met a guy in hotel bar who persuaded him to go to Montreal and join there.

He sailed from Halifax on Empress of Britain April 23, 1916 Liverpool May 4 Le Havre August 10. Near Vormeezle trench there was Canadian trench raid, he rescued several men under fire, won DCM. Was wounded while there.

Entered the line at the Somme 10 10 with 87th Bn 11 Bde 4 Div. He led an attack on Regina Trench October 21. Of 60 men in the attack 43 were casualties. November 18 they attacked Desire Trench and its support trench, while leading 25 men was severly wounded, records show 22 different wounds.

The machine gun they attacked was " in a concrete emplacement walled & roofed."

Plan was to attack with 12 bayonets 13 bombers & no rifle fire. When they reached the gun only he & George Sinnock Godsall a brass finisher from Montreal were standing. He died a POW at Cambrai. Of 11 Germans only 2 were standing andd taken prisoner. Before the attack his American CO Major John Simon Lewis, KIA 2 hours later said, " This is going to be a bit hot McClintock, he said taking my hand, " I wish you the best of luck old fellow, you and th rest of them. He was described by McClintock as the bravest and best loved man in the Bn. I think Alex would have surely been decorated again had he lived.

Lewis is buried at Baupaume Post, Albert as is Captain Henry Hutton Scott . Alex was with his famous father Canon Robert Scott when they found his sons body. Comparing the account of McClintock in his book with that of Scott in The Great War as I saw it made the hair on my head stand!

Here is a real mystery. Lewis' attestation says he was born in Dubuque Iowa. His headstone using info from family says Pelosi Wisconsin USA. I have his birth certificate, Dodgeville, Wisconsin! He was editor of Montreal Star.

Alex had 6 operations and December 11 was still on dangerously ill list, at hospital in Rouen he had temp of 104 that day.

In King George Hosp London he was visited by George V, itr was incorrectly reported here he gave him his DCM .Then to Canadian Convalascent Hospital Bromley, Kent, discharged February 14 to Hastings for further recovery.

He was offered a commission but wanted to serve in US Army entered Canada March on S>S> Metegama March 5, June 28 discharged medically unfit complaining he had not got 20L bonus for DCM!

He attended OTS at Plattsburgh NY and commisioned 1st Lt though he limped and was weak. I do not think they ever intended him to do real duty. According to articles in Lexington papers he badly wanted to return to the war. He was written about in Washington Post & wrote article for NY Times mag. His book was syndicated in USA papers.

He had another gun shot wound coming, killing himself June 28 1918 a year after discharge. Headline next day, Lieut Alexander McClintock Brave fighter Brilliant writer Dies In NY. He had been AWOL for 30 days from Camp Dix New Jersey.There was an empty bottle of barbituate by him. THis was in Manhattan at Murray Hill Baths a hotel and baths.

He left no note. ME said he had been there 3 days would come in early morning and leave 530 to 7 PM. Was wanted by army. 38 revolver with 1 spent 4 unspent shells. Old healed scars left thigh. Body id by brother John Camp Mills NY.

His div. began to leave w/o him May 4 with last leaving June 10. A failure prior he had been a hell of a soldier, wanted to continue, could not. From all indications he was in good shape beofre, speaking around USA, writing etc. Despite telling some lies upon attestation everything in his book is borne out by his and 87th records.

He is listed on the Fayete COunty memorial ot those killed in WW1 and was given a military funeral & buried in uniform. Alex really died on the Somme.

Brother Robert joined French Army May 1917 US at Soissons October and was commssioned. John joined at Louisville KY in 1918 and served in France.

You can see he is wearing sgt stripes, has 2 wound stripes, DCM, 87 collar badges and is resting on a cane.

Now, will you buy the book?!!! Thanks and let me know if you have read it, available cheap paperback CEF Books Ottawa, they have a web site and Westlake has it.