The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Despatches from German East Africa

KONDOA

It will be seen from this map that the Pare Mountains, Railway and Pangani Rivers come very close to each other south of Makanja. It was here that the first real resistance by the enemy was to be expected given the defensive qualities of this location.

At this point the Germans had built entrenchments and heavily fortified the tight passage beneath the mountains, the distance between the river and mountains being in hundreds of yards rather than miles. A bridge was under construction by the Germans to allow their retirement across the Pangani and south towards Handeni, this bridge was incomplete when troops of Gen Sheppherds brigade advanced from their camp north of Mikocheni towards the Nek, driving out the enemy and thus capturing the bridge. Facilitating this sucess was the mounted troops of the 1st Division who had passed through the Pare Mountains and secured a position to the rea rof the enemy and thus rendered their position untenable.

In Francis Brett Young's (2nd Rhodesian Rgt) book " Marching on Tanga" and Angus Buchanan's (25th Royal Fus. Frontiersmen) vivid descriptions of this encounter and location are given, i recommend these books as part of your understanding of the early phase of this campaign.

Angus Buchanan, a naturalist , made various sketches throughout his time in East Africa, one such was of the German Bridge. I am not aware foany official photographs of the bridge but have used this sketch to locate the site of the bridge today. I think you will agree that my location is as close as can be determined from available references.

post-3925-1240520373.jpg

In Buchanans sketch the railroad is indicated to the left. Behind the bush adjacent the river the railroad remains, unused now but the mainstay of Smut's forces once repaired and use dby Von Lettow to ferry his men to and fro. It was also on this stretch of line that one of the 4" guns from the cruiser Konigsberg was mounted on a flat car and used with great effect at Kahe in the early months of 1916. This view is looking from near "German Bridge" adjacent Mikocheni towards Buiko.

post-3925-1240521177.jpg

Roop

Well Done Intrepid Traveller!

H

I've spent a litlle time trwaling this thread. Great work Roop! Please keep it going.

(I think that it might well merit a transfer to the Classic Threads section. Any comments?)

I think that it might well merit a transfer to the Classic Threads section. Any comments?

It's a classic no doubt about it, as is Harry's "Loyal North Lancashires in East Africa" thread. Personally I would prefer it if this thread was in the "Other Theatres" section to complement Harry's thread and where it has most relevance.

Steve

Steve - good points. It certainly doesn't belong in Chit Chat so I'll move it to Other Theatres, leaving a link from its original position so nobody panics and assumes it's been zapped.

Roop - let me know your thoughts on the other question.

Thank you. Sorry for the distraction. Now, get back to the proper stuff - I'm enjoying it! :lol:

To illustrate the area of operations following the advance by the 1st Divison to German Bridge (top left) I post the map below courtesy of the OH.

post-3925-1240765331.jpg

The advance from Kahe to Bwiko, just beyond German Bridge had been achieved in 10 days, a distance "of about 130 miles over trackless country". Smuts established himself at Bwiko whilst the troops were rested and resupplied. The German railway and "German Bridge" were repaired or completed. Smuts took the opportunity to visit the 2nd Division who were opposing Von Lettows's force at Kondoa Irangi. Operations recommenced on the 4th June 1916 with a push southwards to Handeni and further advances along the railway to Mombo which was occupied on the 9th June after a series of hard fought skirmishes.

On the 10th June the town of Wilhelmstal, the capital of the Usumbara region was surrendered to Smut's force by the district officials. There, around 500 women and children and a number of non combatant males were placed in charge of Smuts with their safety assured.

I visited Wilhemstal (Lushoto) to see what legacy remains of the German colonial period.

post-3925-1240766489.jpg

At Mombo the Germans had established a light trolley line to Handeni, crossing the Pangani at Mkalamo. This line linked Von Lettow, who was moving rapidly southwards, with Kraut who he had left on the Usumbara Railway.

The trolley line would allow Kraut to join with Von Lettow, a point quickly siezed upon by Smuts who endeavoured to intersect the trolley line by advancing southwards from German Bridge .

The enemy had however established trenches at Mkalamo in anticipation of Smuts advance and additionally placed strong outposts on Mafi Hill before his main position. It was here that Sheppards column of mainly colonial troops met with Von Lettows force and eventually displced the enemy. (see Francis Brett Young - Marching on Tanga)

The attached picture if read in conjunction with the map in post 134 will provide a panorama of the area of operations. The view is from Mombo with the railway running north, north west to the right.

post-3925-1240944499.jpg

Whilst Sheppard pursued Von Lettow towards Handeni, Hannyngton and his mounted troops fought Kraut's rearguards towards Korogwe with a view to capturing Zuganatto Bridge over the Pangani before it could be destoyed. The "native bridge" consisted of little more than "a few tree trunks across successive stretches of torrent in a deep gorge" The 3/KAR made a dawn attack on the 15th June 1916 to take the bridge.

The native bridge is now replaced with a modern bridge.

Zuganatto Bridge, Korogwe.

post-3925-1240945421.jpg

post-3925-1240945565.jpg

Once the Usumbara Railway was cleared of enemy forces Smuts concentrated on restoring the railway that the Germans had halfheartedly destoyed.

Much of this work fell to the Indian troops of the Sappers and Miners Companies, the restoration allowed the railhead to be established at Korogwe and this soon became the major supply dump for the ASC. Today there is little activity where once every requirement for an army was stacked.

Korogwe Railyard

post-3925-1240946018.jpg

Having secured Korogwe, Hannyngton, marched on Handeni via the Sindeni road (map post 134) whilst Sheppard pushed south through Luchomo, both columns harrassed by persistent sniping and well concealed rearguards.

The road to Sindeni that was followed by Hannyngton's column has not improved greatly since first built by Von Lettow as a military road in the early months of the war.

post-3925-1240953282.jpg

The road is painfully slow though and the devil finds work for travelling companions. We reached Handeni a distance of 70 odd Km some three hours later, with three police officers as passengers who helpfully directed me to the Boma.

post-3925-1240953335.jpg

Near Handeni one is able to look back to the north along the trolleyline route.(map post 134). This view shows the salient features along Gen Sheppards advance from German Bridge.

post-3925-1240953734.jpg

The German colonial administration had established regional control by means of stategically placed Boma's (literally a wall of thorns). These acted as district offices but also the barracks for the askari Shutztruppen companies used to maintain law and order amongst the surrounding tribes. Typically the boma occupies high ground and in most cases is approached by a tree lined road. This example at Handeni retains some of the original trees planted by the Germans.

Handeni was actually abandoned by the retiring German force after outflanking moves by Gen Beves ( 2nd SA Inf Brigade) and Gen Sheppard (River Column) of Von Lettow's (Kraut) forces and thus, apart from a few rearguard skirmishes, making the German position untenable. Handeni was undamaged and occupied by Smuts force on the 18th June 1916.

You will see that I am rather fond of old colonial architecture so allow me an indulgence of posting a few pictures of the boma at Handeni. It is quite an intersting place as it became the British hospital on the line of communication and was where Francis Brett Young was a patient when he sucumbed to fever (Marching on Tanga).

Handeni was approximately equal in distance from the Central Railway as was Kondoa Irangi where Gen Van Deventer was holding ground before a sizable force opposing him, directed personally by Von Lettow. Smuts foresaw a unified advance from these positions to capture the railway.

Shortly after these photographs were taken I was accosted by the security guards as it is illegal to photograph public buildings, fortunately we left on good terms with the camera intact.

Boma Road

North Front

Side View

South Front

post-3925-1240955307.jpg

post-3925-1240955393.jpg

post-3925-1240955461.jpg

post-3925-1240955534.jpg

A fresh map to show the relative positions of the DeVenters force at Kondoa Irangi and Smuts force at Handeni in mid June.

post-3925-1240957446.jpg

The modern road route is in the main that built by Von Lettow in 1914 as a motor route avoiding the more difficult ground to the west. It is the route followed by Col. Lyall from Handeni, and took lonegr than anticipated. Lt Col. Byron who had advanced along the old porter route directly south from Handeni had arrived at Kangata and become engaged in a fierce fight, lyall was unable to arrive in time to offer assistance. Around 4 companies of enemy askari abandoned strongly defended positions at Kangata. Lyall had in his column the Leyland armoured cars of Sir John Willoughby's unit.

This view shows Lyalls approach to Kangata which is in the mid distance, Kanga Hill and the north Nguru mountains beyond.

post-3925-1240958307.jpg

Kangata Bridge where many a water bottle was filled by the thirsty troops regardless of the risk of disease. Kangata would later become the forward supply base for 1st Division actions on the Mgeta River

post-3925-1240958848.jpg