The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Broad Guage Railway Operating Companies

jrreid

Has anyone out there got any info on the 61st Broad guage Railway Company.

Or possibly recommend any reading materials concerning this branch of the Royal Engineers.

As an ex infantryman I tend to always gravitate to that end of the spectrum however when I start looking for the behind the lines reading relating to logistical units seems to be a dearth.

I have contacted the Royal Engineer Museum and unfortunatly they do not have war diaries for the 61st but do have those of the 62nd & 63rd.

Regards

Jamiewee

In memory of Sapper Stanley William Davies,61st Broad Guage Railway Operating Company Royal Engineers. Died 6th Noveber 1918 buried at Etaples. So Near and yet so Far

AM Henniker's Transportation on the Western Front 1914-1918 will give you the background to the railways, but only a handful of units are mentioned and then only by way of passing - your unit is not one of them I'm afraid. The book, along with an associated map volume is part of the Official History of the War series and is easily available. Naval and Military Press still have it in stock I think.

Terry Reeves

:blink:

Jamie,

You can always try the following website which is all about the War Department Light Railways, as they might be able to help you, or if not, to point you in the right direction. The web address is as follows: www.wdlr.org.uk/

Hope it helps in your quest!

GWRCo