Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Light Infantry

Guest Cpl Seath

Hello,

I am serviceman in the British Army. I have just found out that I had a Great Grandad serving in the Royal Marine Light Infantry.

I have been given his medals by my father, as they were handed down to him by his.

He Earned four.

Queens South Africa Medal

1914-1915 Star

The British War Medal 1914-1918

The Victory Medal

As he was the only other serviceman in my family, I would like to remember his acheivements and wear his medals on my Number Two's.

His Queens South Africa Medal is stamped E.W Seath Pte R.M.L.I HMS MONARCH. I konw that His Regt Number was CH.6630

Im not sure if his name was Edward William Seath or William Edward Seath, DOB 1877.

Regarding the Queens South Africa Medal were British serviceman able to wear bars on it.

I am wondering what actions his unit saw during the Boar war and what conflicts he was in during the Great War. What did he do between the wars? I have a photo of him on a camel infront of the pyramids late 1890's

If anyone knows of any links, sites or information regarding these questions I would be very greatful.

Many Thanks,

Nik

Nik,

Welcome aboard you are certainly in the right place.

Like yourself my GG was in the RMLI but he was in the Plymouth Battalion. Your GG was Chatham as per his service number beginning CH. Do you have any paperwork on him ?. Service papers etc.

As far as I know the RMLI's main action on the Boer War ( 1899-1902 ) was at Belmont in 1899. I believe 3 companies took part so I would imagine he was part of this or was onboard ship at the time. Bars were issued to the QSA if the soldier took aprt in those actions. Detachments were also involved in the Boxer Rebellion on China 1900.

HMS Monarch I think was a Dreadnought class battleship.

I am not so familiar with the Chatham battalion history as I am still a novice myself and are learning all the time.

There is a good book by Douglas Jerrold ISBN1-84342-261-1 which I obtained from the Naval and Military press which describes the history of the 63rd Royal Naval Division in the First World War. There main engagements were Antwerp,Ostend retreat from Mons 1914, Gallipoli 1915, Western front - Gavrelle, Beaumont Hamel, Welsh Ridge etc 1916 - 1918. There are at least three ( that I know of ) experts on the RMLI who have helped me no-end. If it weren't for them I would probably still be in the dark.

The Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton hold RMLI attestation papers and the expert there I'm sure will reply. The lady's name at FAAM is Mrs.Keohane but she is extremely busy so bear with her if any enquiry is put her way.

Google 'Jack Clegg' and you will find a wealth of info regarding the RMLI.

I'm almost sure there is a book 'QSA medal issued to the Royal Marines' which would list your GG entitlement to the medal and any bars issued

Hope this helps a little,

Regards,

Simon.

Any irregularities in above please forgive me as I am prone to getting things mixed up.

Nik

An interesting research line,I shall take a peek. I recently did a search at the National Archives for an RMLI soldier and found his attestation papers. I shall later write back to you,but for the moment you might like to know that there is an artefact available from the RMLI in the Boer War,a cap badge. I hit Google for Boer War and the first item was E Bay !! I have no connection here but if you enter number 280045508920 you could bid on this badge. It is something I would want if I was in your position,having the medals as well !

More later

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Nik

HMS MONARCH. 3rd Class Battleship.8845 tons.

1897 Guardship of Cape Station at Simonstown. Also Depot Ship. Many of crew guarded Boer prisoners of war on the hulk HMS Penelope,on transports,and in the POW camp at Simonstown.

When the Boers tried to invade the Cape in 1900 HMS MONARCH was sent to Cape Town so that her 12" and 9" guns could be used to defend the city.

There is another book on MONARCH's role in the Boer War,called Afloat and Ashore-The Royal Navy during the Boer War. 1899-1902. by Peter Singlehurst. No further details on this currently.

Sotonmate

Hello Nik

Just had a look through THE QUEENS SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL TO THE ROYAL NAVY AND THE ROYAL MARINES by W.H.Fevyer & J.W. Wilson, but cannot find a E.W.Seath under HMS Monarch. Unless he turns up in another book your best bet will be to obtain his service papers to confirm his entitlements.

Regards

John

Sotonmate,

Good info.

I'll make a note of that myself as I think I still have 2 members of my family ex Marines @ 1888 - 1905. Maybe Boer war or China. Unfortunately only word of mouth so far and uncertain of christian names.

Rgds,

Simon.

Nik

It seems that the RMLI were part of the Naval Brigade at the Battles of: BELMONT 23.11.1899; ENSLIN/GRASPAN 25.11.1899 and MODDER RIVER 28.11.1899.

Some of the RMLI casualties were shown as from HMS MONARCH on the Memorial at Kimberly,both Officewrs and ORs.

Sotonmate

Nik/Simon2

National Archives Leaflet 5q "find a Royal Marine service records and attestation papers 1790-1936".

Apart from being able to search in the ADM313/27 to 109 lists (you need to know the Marine's Division) and in ADM159 (which will identify the piece number which you need to order from the document store), there is also a nominal card index to service records for the RMLI in Chatham,Portsmouth and Plymouth,to be found in a card index unit 1 in the Microfilm Reading Room(drawers 58 and 59)but these only relate to service between 1842 and 1874.

Good hunting !

Sotonmate

Just had a look through THE QUEENS SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL TO THE ROYAL NAVY AND THE ROYAL MARINES by W.H.Fevyer & J.W. Wilson, but cannot find a E.W.Seath under HMS Monarch. Unless he turns up in another book your best bet will be to obtain his service papers to confirm his entitlements.

At the start of the section on HMS Monarch Fevyer & Wilson say that 17% of the roll has been damaged.

From Monarch 3 RMLI received QSA Medals with 7 bars; 969 of the crew had no bars.

The RMLI did not always fight as a battalion. Only a small part of the RMLI served ashore in WW1, most served afloat.

You will find his service register in Chatham Division (RMLI) ADM 159/46 6427 - 7024 (1885-1893)

6630 SEATH, EW 01/06/1892 DEMOB 01/10/1873 CANTERBURY RE-ENLISTED HO

The above info from FAAM indexes shows he enlisted 1892, born Canterbury 1873, was discharged pre-1914 but re-enlisted for "hosilities only" 1914-18 under his old service number, & was demobbed around 1919.

I guess he has no clasp to his QSA, so probably remained aboard 1899-1902. ADM/159 service will give details of the QSA issue. His papers are at the FAAM.

Thank you guy's all so much for your help.

My unit had other idea's for me over the past couple of weeks and i havent been able to get to a computer.

I cant thankyou enough for the direction you have put me in insearch of his records and history.

I will be intouch with FAAM and look forward to posting some additional information on here.

I beleive one of the family members have part of his medical records. So am trying my best to get them.

Take care,

and thanks again.

Nik