The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Thomas Nulty

Stephen Nulty

My late grandfather, Thomas Nulty, served as a Private in the Kings (Liverpool) Regiment, number 13100. His records show Military Medal & Bar and I have a photocopy of a London Gazette entry of 11th February 1919 which I think is the Bar entry. I am unable to find the reason for these medal awards and wonder if anybody can help.

Thomas' brother, James, fell on 09/09/1916 at Ginchy.

First visit and first post, so apologies for anything that is non-standard or incorrect.

Hello Stephen, welcome to the forum.

Awards of the MM were announced in the London Gazette. This has a website, and is searchable but we have all found it to be a bit hit and miss. When you get to the search page, type something like T. Nulty in there. Do persist and I'm sure you will find the entries for him. It is here.

However, the MM usually came without a citation so you can not easily tell what it was for.

Best thing to do is to identify his battalion (you may already know, or the LG MM listing may tell you, and if not his medal entitlement documents will), then look up their war diary. Awards of MM were very often recorded in the diary, and you can usually work out or find references to the events in which he won it.

For finding out what medal entitlements documents, war diaries and all that sort of thing are, and how to find them, click on The Long, Long Trail at top left of this page and then on "Grandad's War".

Stephen

Pte Thomas Nutly's M.M is in the London Gazette 7/02/1919 issue 31173 and the Bar is in issue 31405 dated 13/06/1919 all 5th Battalion Liverpool and from Prescot. Hope this is of help.

Regards Kevin

Hello Stephen,

Your grandfather, Thomas Nulty, enlisted in Liverpool on 24 Aug 1914 into 11 Kings (Liverpool Regt) and was drafted to France with that Bn on 19 May 1915 - he was subsequenly transferred to 1/5 Kings (Liverpool Regt) on an unknown date (probably after he had been wounded with 11 KLR) and received his gallantry awards serving with this Bn. I have checked the 1/5 KLR War Diary and unfortunately can find no mention of him. Do you have any infomation about him that I can add to my database? He is the only Nulty I hold who served with the Liverpool Regt.

Regards

Joe