The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William James Lynes

Guest Trevorlynes

Guest Trevorlynes

Hello,

My father William James Lynes was in the Kings Liverpool during the first world war.

He was a sniper and a welter weight boxer being the BEF welter weight champion.

He survived the war but lost all the metacarpal bones of his left hand finishing his boxing career.

Are there any records of his service as I am trying to trace the family tree.

regards,

Trevor Lynes

Trevor

Welcome to the forum.

The answer to that is...yes, there are records of his service...but you have to find them. Unless there is a boxing reference somewhere outt here that gives it all, which I doubt. Try visiting The Long, Long Trail (link top left of this page) and click on "Grandad's war" to find out how to answer your the question.

Hello Trevor,

Private William James Lynes enlisted in 20 Kings (Liverpool Regt) - also known as the 4th Liverpool Pals - on 7 Nov 1914. At enlistment he gave his address as Stockbridge Farm, Knowsley (nr Liverpool) where he lived with his wife Jennie. He was drafted to France with 20 KLR on 7 Nov 1915 and was discharged due to wounds on 21 May 1917. His medals were reissued in Jan 1931. Hope this is of interest. If you have any additional information about him would be pleased to add it to my database.

as an aside I went to school just opposite Stockbridge Farm - but a long time after the war!

Regards

Joe