The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

526th Field Coy Royal Engineers

Guest truffle

One of my relatives, Albert Emerson, was a sapper in the RE. I have recently found out from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website that he was in 526th Field Company. Can anyone help me with where they might have been fighting on/around 03/09/18, the day he died? I confess to being a complete novice at this, but not averse to reading up on it if someone can direct me to a good book!

The only other information I have is that he has a headstone in the cemetery at Aubigny. I know that soldiers were usually buried where they fell, but does the fact that we have what we think is his cap badge mean his body may have been 'rescued' to some other place?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Joanne Emerson

Hi Joanne, and welcome to the forum.

526 Field Company RE was attached to the 4th Division. It was called or subtitled the 1st Durham Field Company, until 1917, so that gives you a clue where it originated.

On 3 September 1918, the 4th Division was under the command of Canadian Corps, and involved in operations near the River Sensee between Etaing and Recourt. (To see where this is, click on http://www.viamichelin.com, and enter Etaing in the box marked "Maps in Europe...city/area". The general area is between Arras and Cambrai.)

Aubigny (if I have it right) is miles from there! It is near Villers Bretonneux and although it had been a location for Casualty Clearing Station No 57, I believe they had moved out a few days before he died. So we have a curiosity here.

For further detail, you can find the daily war diary of the Company at the Public Record Office...but let's see what our members come up with...

Albert is shown in Soldiers Died as having died of wounds, which should account for his burial at Aubigny.

His residence is recorded as Stanhope, and place of enlistment as Bishop Aukland.

Jim

Thank you very much for the information so far!!

It is ironic that I should only be aware of his existence after his sister died and we found all of his war memorabilia in her attic.....she never talked of him.

I have just found a postcard he sent home dated 9 Feb, possibly 1917, which is a picture of Rouen....and perhaps in order to pass the field censor the word 'Rouen' on the front has been scratched out with pencil; also one of Arras, again scratched out, dated 20 Dec 1917. Does this help anyone with the movements of his company?