The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

313 Reserve Infantry regiment

David Filsell

Can any one advise me of the German brigade or division to which 313 RIR fetaured in the German novel "In the Hell of Verdun" was attached in 1916 - or is it a fictitious formation?

Many thanks David Filsell

Hello David,

I checked my sources and I cannot locate any regiment, reserve regiment or Landwehr regiment using the number 313. It appears to have been a fictitious unit used in the novel.

Ralph

Hello Ralph,

Of course there was an active IR 313. As far as I could trace it was engaged in Romania 1915/16. Also a regimental history exists of RIR 313. Since Ralph (I don't know about David) can read German, I add a stunnung war diary from a Lieutenant IR 187: in this fascinating story with spectacular pictures you will find IR 313 mentioned at the very bottom part.

There was no IR (or RIR or LIR) 313 in the German Army in 1914-1918. It is a fictious unit.

Regards,

Jan

Thanks guys I am most grateful. It looks as if the author Alfred Hein (psued for Julius Bethin) chose a fititious unit - Bethin later became a Nazi propagandist. But it seems from his account that he did serve at Verdun, the texture feels authentic.

Any information on Bethin would be of interest.

If I were to add that his bn I in the book In the Hell of Verdun) was, "ordered to make an attack west of the Muese, close to the hill called the Morte Homme, on the afternoon of Easter Monday. Fort Marre was the objective and battalions of other regiments, in all about a brigade and a half were to take part" could anyone identify the division, brigade or regiment?

Any help much appreciated - info is required for the bibliograph and commentary I am preparing on German war books - novels, diaries and etc - which have been translated into English. I have deliberately excluded accounts by senior officers and have so far I have identified over 103 books.

As I said earlier:

Royal Hungarian Landwehr (Honvéd)

At mobilisation in 1914 the Royal Hungarian Landwehr infantry comprised of 32 regiments (Nr.1-32) which like their counterparts in the Austrian Landwehr were also known by the garrison headquarters name. An example of this naming practice is the Miscolczer 10.Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment. In contrast to the Austrian Landwehr, the Hungarians formed additional March formations and at mobilisation 48 battalions were formed (Nr.1-48) which were combined into 16 March regiments (Nr.1-16) of three battalions each. The number of the regiment corresponded to the number of the Hungarian Landwehr division to which it was assigned. Also in contrast to the Austrian Landwehr there were some changes in organisation, particularly an increase in the number of regiments. Although the regiments of the 23rd Hungarian Landwehr Infantry Division which capitulated on the fall of Przemyśl (Nr.2, 5, 7 and 8) were not reformed there existed regiments numbered 33 and 34 (only for a short period) 300. 301, 302, 304 (which also had disappeared in 1918), 305-311-313-316: (Trachomformation - with just one battalion each), 312 (disbanded in the Summer of 1916) plus the Honvédinfanteriebataillon Russ. In line with the renaming of the Austrian Landwehr regiments in April 1917, the Hungarian regiments were designated at this time as Honvéd infantry regiments.

Egbert,

because the book is about the German Army, I think the author deliberately choose a (in the German Army) non-existent regimental designation, so I don't think it has anything to do with the Hungarian unit.

Although I like your explanation, I don't know very much about the KuK Army I must admit.

Jan

Egbert and Jan

Many thanks for your kind comments - I have no doubt from the text that Hein's account was based on a German infantry regiment and not an AH . Where there any AH units at Verdun? So the question remains, based on the Easter date and location can anyone identify the probable unit?

Involved in the area of the Toter Mann around Easter was the XXII. Reservekorps (43; and 44. Reserve-Division, Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 201-208). Problem is that they didn't attack on Easter Monday but were attacked by French units.

Jan

(Source: Markus Klauer. Die Höhe Toter Mann während der Kämpfe um Verdun in den Jahren 1916/1917.Remscheid 2001. ISBN 3-9807648-0-X)

That's an interesting question: anybody knows of Honved units participating at Western Front? I checked yesterday Reichsarchiv and discovered the Alpenkorps engaged at Verdun. Any mixed Austrian-Hungarian units ? I will check later today for 1916/Verdun

Hello,

There were some KuK units on the Western Front: mainly artillery units with the Skoda heavy guns. There were some KuK infantry units engaged in France in 1918.

Jan

Thanks guys, any further contributions welcome. Jan's lead most helpful. I will recheck the text to see if the planned attack was pre-empted by French offensive action.

David